• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"frozen" steering in the morning

hightime81

NAXJA Forum User
1993 XJ, sport 4x4 with 115K on the clock, AW4, stock all around.

sometimes when i let it sit for a few days, i will come out in the morning, start it up and start to back out of my driveway and i try to gently turn the steering wheel and it won't move. i give some more pressure and it gives and then it's fine. again, seems to only happen if it sits for a few days, but i'm wondering what could cause it? doesn't matter if it is summer or winter it will do it. usually more so in the winter i think...

i have never changed/flushed the power steering fluid since i've owned it (6 years). i wonder if that could be it? the fluid is at the correct level when i check it though...

thoughts? this happen to anyone else?

Do you know what kind of fluid is in it?

joe -

matter of fact, i actually don't. i could tell you the color, but i actually don't know for sure what kind of fluid is actually in it. when i first got it and i was checking fluids and such, i topped it off with a little adv auto brand power steering fluid, but it didn't take very much...

i take it that's a pretty good sign it should be changed out huh? lol.

You can't find anything physical binding? Wheels on the ground have a friend turn the wheel, engine off, and observe/listen for anything unusual. I would do that before changing the fluid. Changing the fluid is a good idea, I would just try to determine if there is anything hanging up first.

Something may be clogging up in the power steering pump. It's a good idea to change the fluid. ATF is fine for power steering. No need for "power steering" fluid. You may be able to get the clogging dirt out. I'm not saying that you shouldn't check for other problems too that may cause binding, but the fact that it clears up as you use it makes me think it's internal in the pump.

generally that indicates a problem with the steering box. you can do a poor boy's flush on it and see if it helps--disconnect the return line and stick it in a jug, and pour fluid into the reservoir with the engine running until the system runs clean

thanks all!
poor mans flush sounds like a good idea. that is what i will do after i get the front end on jack stands and inspect the steering. i have more play in my steering than i should, so this is probably a long time coming.

which ATF fluid should i use? does it matter?

Last time I used ATF in an Xj steering system it was very unhappy, buzzed and whined, and I had to flush it. Maybe that was a coincidence, since I've always previously used Dexron in every other PS system I've run for years and years without problems (it's the specified fluid for old Mercedes with Saginaw steering, in fact), but since then I've sprung for power steering fluid, on the off chance that the XJ is more picky Not much difference in price.

Don't neglect belt tightness. Do not count on it squealing to warn you. On my old 87 the first symptom of a slightly loose belt was not noise but intermittent loss of steering boost.

Look around for the Valvoline synthetic power steering fluid. Last time I saw it was at Advance but not at Autozone. That stuff is really good. It's listed in a GM TSB as a solution to permanent whine in some of the Cadillac pumps.

Back