• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 spray in bedliner done myself!

crystalcleanteam

NAXJA Forum User
Here it is! I searched all over the net for this and there was very little info on it about XJ' s so I just did it and here is how it went.

The tools!
SSPX0619.jpg

The jeep!
SSPX0359.jpg

The Jeep I am leaning towards right now has it in there already That'll sure make it nice come winter!

I thought the carpet smelled musty and it was always in the back of my mind about rust under their but I don't do mud or anything? but it was there. This is after I knocked it through.

SSPX0579-1.jpg

Rust?! In Florida? That sucks!

Then I stripped the whole inside! Plugged all the bolt holes, cut a new piece of metal welded it in and started sanding down the floor. It is not required to sand it like this just scuff it up but i had a little surface rust around so I did it all!

SSPX0582.jpg

You can see the piece of metal in the passenger floor board that I replaced.

SSPX0594.jpg

Yah Im from Vegas but I live in florida and rust does suck Im doing everything to prevent it from happening!

Good plan, XJ floors like to rust. Thankfully my last rig didn't have any on the floors but the rockers were shot!

I used a under body gun from a local paint shop and a air compressor at about 60psi. I used a hose from the bottom of the gun into the gallon but if I had to do it again I would buy the small bottles that thread to the bottom of the gun. The hose I stuck through the gallons lid and punched an air hole to.

Then just held the gallon in one hand and the gun in the other hopped in and went to town! Make sure you use a paint mask or respirator it gets extremely caustic! I used a blower to circulate the air.

SSPX0600.jpg

SSPX0599.jpg

Those last pictures are after I sprayed two coats. It took forever to dry the tep outside was about 65 with low humidity and it took forever to dry between coats. The instructions said around an hour but I waited about 2-3 hours. I also removed the headliner after it started sagging and I was going to get it redone but I started thinking about how dirty it got and what if it sagged again, what else could I do?

SSPX0611.jpg

SSPX0624.jpg

are you planning on putting your carpet back in? or headliner? hows the road noise and heat without the carpet in there
Also interested to know if you plan on carpet or just leaving it.

The latch and everything else still has tape on it. You have to wait around 8-9 hours till it can cure. I just did this over this weekend and have not put anything back yet so I will let you all know how noisy or hot it is, and I will be honest it used to be my daily driver but I still like comfort!

Looks good.

I'd like to do this, but I too value comfort and noise reduction.

I'll be watching for an update.

The latch and everything else still has tape on it. You have to wait around 8-9 hours till it can cure. I just did this over this weekend and have not put anything back yet so I will let you all know how noisy or hot it is, and I will be honest it used to be my daily driver but I still like comfort!

Better get that tape off now before it's too late. Otherwise you'll be cutting it out with a razor knife.

Back