• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

84 2.8 carb to tbi conversion

DurtySpeed

NAXJA Forum User
So I picked up a 84 wagoneer/cherokee for 400 bucks. Seems to be in pretty good condition for what it is. and it is a 5 spd. Had to adjust timing and mess with the carb for about 10 minutes to get her running to drive it 10 miles home. The carb is garbage. The linkage is all messed up, etc. Not even worth my time. I was about to order the weber conversion kit when I came across a 88 s10 blazer with the tbi 2.8 on craigslist for 300 bucks about 3 miles from my house. It has no front end on it but it runs and drives and will make it to the house. So I figure. Hey why not. Pull everything I need and send the rest to scrap metal and prolly see about 200 bucks for it. So 100 bucks to go tbi. Not bad imo.

So my question. Anyone ever tackled this? I have spent hours researching and came across a few things but nothing specific to this motor/ setup. Any pointers, tips, tricks to make the wiring easier, etc. Seems simple enough, especially since the wiring is pretty minimal and is almost completely seperate from the chassis harness. Going to pick it up tomorrow and start pulling the wiring, computer, intake manifold, throttle body, all sensors, exhaust manifolds, down pipes with the o2 senser, vss, etc.

I would really appreciate any tips, tricks, etc that ya'll can give me.

Oh and most specifically, the knock sensor. Is there a way to eliminate this as I am not sure I will be able to mount it on the jeep.

Thanks.

You sure its not a 4 speed? I would go ahead and do a 3.4 GM swap since the 2.8 is an absolute Turd!

It sounds like an interesting project. I had thought about it on my 2.8L Cherokee, but all the TBI systems were striped from the GM products in the yard; so I fixed the carb on mine. I've heard that GM OBDI systems are very versitile.

I'd get a Haynes manual for that truck. It should have the schematic in the back.

Good Luck!!!

Ron

edit: The 2.8L Jeep engine uses ported vacuum, not manifold vacuum for advance. If you try using manifold vacuum ( a common mistake that people make), it will not perform well. Of course, when you have the TBI system all installed, that will be a mute point :D

I am sure it is a 5 spd. I momentarily used 5th gear coming home just to find out. No engine swaps are in store for now. The goal at the end of this is a 2000 dollar or so driver/ slash toy. Then upgrade as things break.

Zuki, thanks for the vacuum tip. I believe I read that somewhere also but disregarded it because I am doing the conversion. I am going ahead with it because for a whole 300 donor vehicle to do everything, I figure I cant go wrong, then turn the rest in for scrap and get some of my money back.

Back