• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I think its something to do with the driveshaft

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
when i make a u-turn i can feel under the driver seat almost as if im rolling over a rock but there aint one what do you think that is?
ive change my wheel joints already, and i dont even think its in the wheel but more like something under me

My 2000 does the same thing. After checking all other possibilities, I just chocked it up to "understeer". My sisters 2001 XJ and a 99 XJ that I test drove a few months back do the same thing. Sometimes, I swear the axle is shifting to the left and right, as if it is loose or something.

Beats me...

check the u-bolts in the double joint coming out of the transfer case, those would cause that and may need to be replaced

what front axle do you have is it non disconnect? Does it feel like it is trying to hop or skip ?

what do you mean by non disconnect i need some more details on that man not to sure what you mean

i have a double carbon joint i believe
its a 88 xj 4.0 l 6cyl auto trans
how do i kno what axel it is?

and yes it does feel like somethings make the car skip or hop but only when its im making a big turn or u-turn very fustrating i just moved to York, PA and man i really need my rig fixed up good

what do you mean by non disconnect i need some more details on that man not to sure what you mean

i have a double carbon joint i believe
its a 88 xj 4.0 l 6cyl auto trans
how do i kno what axel it is?

A few years after yours was made, they dropped the vacuum disconnect device on the front axle, so that the driveshaft turns all the time. If you have the part-time transfer case, and the original front axle, it's the disconnect type. A vacuum switch in the transfer case controls a vacuum motor that engages the right front axle. When it is disengaged, the differential is not fully engaged, and the driveshaft doesn't turn. But both axle universals will still be turning. If you have the full-time transfer case, it's non disconnect.

I would look at the front axle universal joints first.

If you feel that the axle is shifting left and right inspect the track bar. The frame mount where the tre is tends to "egg out" and/or fracture, and that will let things move left and right. Check the bushings in the UCA and LCA, if at all questionable replace them. It is often cheaper to just buy new control arms with bushings already in them than hassle with getting the old bushings out.

Check your motor and trans mounts, when powering through a corner things can really start moving from the torque.

You say it is mostly when making u-turns and under the driver's seat--is it only when turning left?

so many answers, its hard to address them all basically ill just ask the questions im not sure of
like by my 4wheel drive selector i have full time but i also have part time but i think i do have that vacumn motor thing on my differential so that means i have disconnect right? and if so. how do i service that thing i havent really took off my driveshaft yet isnt that where those u-joints are that might be bad cause just before i moved out here i changed my wheel joints already! both at different times though and wow what a job

Joe, What would the significance of this be?

Thanks...

If it is only when turning in one direction it can reduce the number of variables. No special insight.

I remember you changed somthing in the front end before. Was it ball joints, front axle universal joints, or wheel bearings? While you had the axles out, did you check out the u-joints for play and smooth motion? Did you get the big axle NUT tightened down enough (175 ft./lbs). That is critical!

i change the wheel joints winterbeater and only the one on the driver side because the other wheel joint was change by a mechanic 6 months earlier so i didnt see the need to change it, back in new york i didnt really feel play in the driveshaft but now im second guessing my decision
I did torque the bolt down as tight as i could with a breaker bar and all just to make sure it was on there right then i check it with the torque and it wouldnt go past the 175 area when i pushed it

Back