• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauges Shutting Down ?

Hylander

NAXJA Forum User
So most of you know I'm have Tranny issues.
But now I driving along last night and my Gauges shut down, then come back and then shut down then ETC, then come back on and stay on.
I'm about ready to use this thing Rig for Target practice :mad:
So far I have sunk almost $7,000 into this thing and have yet to actually go for an outing

Sounds like something is interrupting the CCD bus sending the proper signals to the gauge cluster - based on the fact that dgrigorenko had the same tranny symptoms as you caused by a bad ECU, I would say this points the finger even more squarely at the ECU. Pick up a new one (if you haven't already) and see if that fixes it.

I'd hit the you-pull-it personally - write down the part number on your ECU, it'll be 8 digits plus two letters at the end. Get one from the same model year as your XJ with the same or "greater" letters at the end. You will need to have it reflashed with the true odometer reading and your VIN number to make it legal, and possibly to update the firmware, but it should run without that. Try to get one from a C4C vehicle because that way you know the thing ran right before it was scrapped, much less of a quality crapshoot that way.

I'd hit the you-pull-it personally - write down the part number on your ECU, it'll be 8 digits plus two letters at the end. Get one from the same model year as your XJ with the same or "greater" letters at the end. You will need to have it reflashed with the true odometer reading and your VIN number to make it legal, and possibly to update the firmware, but it should run without that. Try to get one from a C4C vehicle because that way you know the thing ran right before it was scrapped, much less of a quality crapshoot that way.

I have been checking all JY for Electronic parts and there are no 97's to be had, a few 2000-2001 and of coarse lots of older ones.

Whoa whoa whoa, ease up there. Before you do all that, next time they stop working, push on the gauges. the connection is terrible in the back and the 97+ cherokees do that.

Whoa whoa whoa, ease up there. Before you do all that, next time they stop working, push on the gauges. The connection is terrible in the back and the 97+ Cherokees do that.

If the engine and transmission continue to work properly, it 's probably a bad connection, as suggested by camarors8992
Disassemble the left sift side of the dash and open up every plug you can find, apply dielectric grease to all the contacts and reassemble.

[FONT=&quot]Make sure the two big plugs, at the bottom left side of the dash, get this treatment, they have been the cause of a few of my XJ's electrical gremlins.[/FONT]

I had that issue with my '99. In my case it was/is the ignition switch. Turning on the vehicle it sometimes doesn't go to the correct detent...wiggle the key and they work. Sometimes I'd get a delayed gauge cluster failure after driving for a while (not in a long time however). I've never fixed this in mine as it doesn't happen that often...also my key can be removed when the vehicle is running...again, not a big deal to me. I'll fix it when it's really needed.

Oh yeah, it's been like this since '02...over 100K miles ago.

Mine does this gauge thing. Sometimes they just stick. Maybe at zero, maybe at some level, then poof they fix themselves. Was happening all the time, but it's better now.

Pretty common malady 97+.

Pull the instrument panel, clean the connector's contacts, coat with dielectric grease, and reinstall. If you can "tug" on the harness to get a little more slack in it would not hurt either.

percussive debugging at its finest... usually performed at first with stress relief in mind, not actual troubleshooting!

Back