• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing Rear Bumper End Caps

WarMachine

NAXJA Forum User
I recently got into a minor accident, but the only thing that got damaged on my car was the rear bumper end cap on the drivers side, I looked at it and it seems like it was just two bolts underneath, but after I removed the two, it seems like the top was held down by something, Does anyone know what's hold it? Also it's a 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport. Thanks!

IIRC, there is a bolt under the rear tail lights. when i removed the end caps on my 89, i had to push dowm on the end caps to get a wrench between the end cap and the rear tail light housing.

On my 91', it was actually a bolt with a really skinny, weird shaped head underneath a plastic cap. The head of it was about one third the height of a normal bolt head, and almost Torx shaped. A 3/4 inch wrench KINDA fit on it, but the head was also tapered, wider at the top than the bottom, so rounding off the edges was easy.

It's designed to permanently attach to a square piece of plastic that fits in the pocket space on top of the bumper cap, the sides of the square plastic hit the sides of the pocket, thus holding the bolt from spinning.

Of course, the plastic broke off, so all I could do was bust the remaining plastic bit off of it and get a wrench on it. It SUCKED. But i was doing it outside in light rain at night with a flashlight. But I did have the bumper off, so I could see this whole thing better.

If your bumper caps haven't had that plastic thing break off the top bolt yet, you should be able to kind of get a socket onto the nut underneath and spin it off. If it is broken though, I'd personally pull the bumper. The working quarters are tight.

Back