• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

please help my turn signal arent working

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 88 cherekee 4.0 6 cyl auto trans
When i put my turn signal on the arrow that indicates that its signaling is steady green and it actually doesnt signal in the front of the car
also it doesnt blink in the back it just stays solid (thats only in the back) but the front doesnt stay solid or nothing so i dont know what to think!
I look at fuses and none are blown also i have looked at the lights itself and there are fine
what can cause this? does anyone know?

and for my last question since i drove to PA i've noticed that everytime i turn my car off it makes this beeping sound for a second or two the sound comes from the dash somewhere its a beep beep beep type of sound.

Please help if you can

do the hazzards work proporly(blink and light up)?

how did you check to see if the bulbs are good?

did you check the flasher relay on the fuse block?

1 hazzards work fine

2 none of them were broken so i switch in a new one and still same results

3 flasher relay? dont know how to check?!!! any info could this be it

also my high beems arent working you are suppose to pull the stick towards you right?
if so nothing happens when i do that?
what is it?

Use multimeter and test the socket for power and ground. One will be missing, then work back to the cabin until you fix the problem.

1 hazzards work fine

2 none of them were broken so i switch in a new one and still same results

3 flasher relay? dont know how to check?!!! any info could this be it

if the hazzards blink and glow, then replace the flasher relay for the turn signals. the flasher relay(the thing that makes it blink) is on the fuse block. i forget if its round or square.

Use multimeter and test the socket for power and ground. One will be missing, then work back to the cabin until you fix the problem.

what, do you mean test the curcuit? dont you just swap in new electrical parts until you get the right one?:huh:

if the turn signals work(blink and light up) when the flashers are on, but not when you put the turn signal stalk is on, then the lights work but the turn signal flasher doesnt. the 88 uses seperate flashers for the hazzards and the turn signals. you could swap the hazzard flasher into the turn signal flasher spot to see if its a bad flasher.

I believe that the older models like yours use the old standard silver can flashers. Usually they are under the dash near the drivers side somewhere. They are silver, about 1" round and an inch long. Go to the auto parts store and check out the standard flasher cans. Newer models use a plastic square unit that costs more and is combination turn signal & emergency.

http://info.rockauto.com/Bussman/Detail.html?No552.JPG

Last edited:
I'd be willing to bet it's a grounding issue on your bulb socket. I'll put $1 down that the small metal tab that grounds the socket is rusted out.

yeah you were it was a grounding issue bigalpha my socket was bad so i got a GM socket that looked similar to mines and i brought a 1127 bulb and installed it. it works good now but my headlights still dont come on. Dont you turn on the headlights by pulling the flasher stick towards yourself if so i dont here a thing when i do that it. So whats broke or what do i have to fix.!

91xj.jpg

This is Begster's 91, but I think they're similar enough to illustrate. My 97 has a different interior, but the lights function the same in mine, and just like most American cars I've owned (which were mostly GM, and I believe the early Cherokees share some of the same components).

Last edited:
Back in April you described this same problem. It was suggested that you replace the switch. The next day, you said that your headlights worked, and it was suggested again that the switch might be bad. You then asked which one was the headlight switch, and that was the end of that.

So fast forward to November 2009. Your lights quit working again, right? So did you ever replace the headlight switch (RED CIRCLE)?

I don't mean to hi-jack, but I have a similar problem. When I turn on the turn signals, the back lights blink, but not the front. I would note that the parking lights work, same lens. I've replaced the bulbs already. I'll try the flasher.

Back