• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing head, what am I missing?

idahoskier

NAXJA Forum User
So Ive got everything disconnected that I should as far as I can tell... exhaust, intake, fuel line, plugs, all wires, top two alternator bracket bolts, valve cover, rocker arms etc, all head bolts (driver rear is in but held up by tape). So when I pry up on the head the driver side moves to show a small gap.. but the passenger side does not budge at all. Is there something that Im missing that would be holding it on? I havent pulled the distributor or coil as I didnt see how that would interfere with removing the head, or can it? I dont have any device to pull it other than man power. Ive done lots of wrenching but this is my first head gasket and Im hesitant to really pry hard on it. Thanks for any advice!
1996 cherokee 4.0 L, manual trans, 4x4

IIRC the dipstick tube is secured to the passenger side of the head. Or the head gasket is holding it down. If you plan on doing more engine work, I would recommend an engine hoist. You can then assemble the head with intake and exhaust manifold out side of the vehicle and drop it in the engine bay with the hoist. Plus your back will thank you as the head isn't a V8 aluminum head.

You are missing the BFH

Double check all bolts as it sounds like you forgot to remove the bolts for the a/c compressor mount. When i pulled mine I stripped almost the entire engine down on the front and drivers side.

Engine hoist: n. a large tool designed to test the tensile strength of any bolts, grounding straps, and vacuum lines you may have left connected

It's probably the compressor mount like Dave said, or just stuck on there.

Yeah it could be the A C compresor or the tranny fluid dip stick check both.

I assumed that when he said "top two alternator bracket bolts" he mean the AC compressor mounts.

Tranny fluid dipstick mounts to the bell housing.

Back