• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ build for my Daughter/Items Wanted

wade_hack

NAXJA Forum User
I'm doing a build with my 16 y/o daughter on this 86 XJ. She doesn't know it yet but it's going to be hers when we are done.
I'm trying to do a quality job but want to save a few bucks for my build.
I'm looking for a few good used parts to help with the budget.
Here is the rig info 86 XJ, 2.8, 5 speed manual, 207 TC
1)I'm needing a H&T kit or a standard SYE kit with a driveline or two. I'll be needing drive lines with CV joints for both front and rear
2) 1,5 inch front coil spacers.
3) 5" re springs and a 1 to 2 " shackle
4) Adjustable Track bar and drop bracket
5) Cross over steering upgrade
6) Extended stainless brake lines
7)Disc brake conversion for Dana 35 rear and parts to make it work.
8) Lockers F&R

A big Thanks to everyone. This is cool site.

a few things i am questioning...

CV joint Driveshafts? I believe U joints are much stronger..
What are you doing for Control arms and shocks?
Lockers front and rear.. On a very serious note, I would not be sending my daughter out of my sight with a locked dana 35..

what size tire do you plan to run? 33s? have you thought about gearing, that 2.8l is prone to have problems, a larger tire is certain to hinder what little performance that motor has left...

I am just trying to be informative.. I think what you are doing is awesome, and i wish MY dad would of done something even remotely close to this cool when i was 16...

I think he means driveshafts that have the double cordon U joint on the T case end, these are sometimes called CV driveshafts.

Also dana 35's are horrible, don't lock it or even bother with a disc break conversion, just grab a 8.25 out of a later model XJ in the junkyard.

-Alex

Your front D/S should already be a CV/double-cardan, unless the red-headed stepchild '84-'86 XJs had a different setup than later models.

I would also question the sanity of building a lifted/locked anything for a 16 year old, who is a new driver. You won't be doing her any favors sending her out on the road in such a rig. I would also question building an '86 period, as the 2.8L, AX-5, NP207, and D35 is a pretty crappy drivetrain.

Let her drive it stock for a bit, then figure out what she wants to do.

Thanks guys. Good info. I am not jeep savvy at all! I've been building Toyota's for years, so I'm not a rookie!
Thank You for your concerns, but My daughter has been driving since she was big enough to reach the pedal. Before that she sat on my lap and drove. I've had jacked up and locked up wheelers my whole life, and she has driven most of them. I'd be willing to bet she could out wheel some people on the site. She has the kid no fear factor going for her. As for the 86. Ya it's week, but all jeeps are. You have to build a jeep to make it good. It's a one owner jewel in great shape. Besides, she has a car for a daily driver. This will be her wheeling rig, and she has always wanted a wheeler.
She thinks it's mine, and she has asked to help me build it. She has no clue, and I can't wait to start.

The front driveline is a piece of crap. It's the old style. It has to go right away. I believe the gears are 411. Not bad but I'll go lower like 456 or 488.
I'm taking out the 4'5" lift and the 31's. I'm installing a long-arm set up with 6'5 springs and a 1.5"spacer. I'll do spring lift to match in the rear and add revolver shackles. I have a set of 35's on nice 10' aluminum wheels.
We will start cutting the fenders this weekend. Then we will start on the suspension there after.
We will primarily be using it for snow wheeling, but will do light trails as well. As things break, we will fix them.

That lift is going to be over kill. 5" is enough for 35s with trimming. Revolver shackles have proven their worthlessness, they are unpredictable and expensive. Save your money and put the spacers on the lift you have and trim and bump-stop as necessary.

Oh boy, a 2.8L...well...good luck I suppose. :thumbup:

Seriously though...we're not saying you don't know what you're doing, but I think it's fair to say we all have knowledge of Cherokees, when you're being recommended to not build with that Jeep...we're warning you very politely to not build that Jeep. Spend $500 on an '88+ 4L rig, you won't regret it.

~Scott

That lift is going to be over kill. 5" is enough for 35s with trimming. Revolver shackles have proven their worthlessness, they are unpredictable and expensive. Save your money and put the spacers on the lift you have and trim and bump-stop as necessary.
with the 35"s it wont be much over kill, 6" with 35"s is a good combo..

now, back to the dana 35, locked with 35"s.. with NO disrespect toward you wade_hack, but thats flat out funny:laugh2:...

On a plus side, i have the front shaft that your looking for... if your coming up to portland, send me a PM and we will work somethin out..

advice: 35" tires will need atleast an 8.25 in the rear, a dana 44 or 8.8 would be better. but an 8.25 will suffice.

and if you insist on running the Dana 35, i have one non C-Clip, complete drum to drum, you could use for spare shafts... its yours for free. nothing wrong with it.

I'm listening and I like what I hear. So, I'll forget the spacers and stay with the springs. I Have used revolver shackles on my toyotas and liked them, but they are unpredictable. I'll eliminate them as well. I can go with a 8.25 rear. I've just found one for a good price (Thanks). As for the 86 cherokee. You say don't build it, and I do get what you are saying. Hear me out on this.I was thinking of running the V-6 till it quit then building the thing up a little. The trans and TC can be swapped out and upgraded pretty easy. Is that still unfeasible?

Sounds like we should move this thread to the tech section.
Just so you know I do appreciate all of your info. This an awesome site!!!
Thats a good idea...

one thing to point out, when the 2.8l dies, it is rediculously difficult to swap in a 4.0liter... the firewall has to be hacked up, etc... for the amount of work, you might aswell swap in a Small block.

icon12.gif

If you can afford it, I would also advise starting with a better platform. Sell your current xj and use that money towards something with a 4.0. By the time you spend money upgrading axles/drivetrain you could already buy something newer with better parts. Also make sure she is careful driving in the snow on the road with lockers F&R. May want to put a selectable up front for added comfort and keep it off while on the street.

Last edited:
We're not kidding, 84-86 is just weird stuff. Almost nothing interchanges with any of the XJs that were built after 1987, the front axle uses the weak CV shafts from FWD transaxles, and the V6 engine is absolute crap and when it blows up you'll have to swap in a Chevy V6 with the ECU and all the adapters and everything. Seriously it's money down a hole.

If we can't shake you from the jeep, at least take the advice about a smaller lift, especially if you are trying to do this on a budget. At 2" you can have a very solid and cheap outdoor vehicle for not much money. At 3" the cost doubles as you get into more replacement parts. At 4" of suspension lift you will have to replace almost all of the suspension and steering parts. At 5" you are into advanced geometry, long arms and drop brackets and worse.

It's obvious that you are trying to give your daughter the moon on a shoestring which is nice to see but really this is all wrong. If you like that jeep keep it short and fun, plenty of people go lots of places with just a little lift and the swaybars disconnected

Back