• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Decent ride and small lift...questions

Silver60th

NAXJA Forum User
Yes I know the topic of lifting has been covered. And covered. And covered some more. But. This is a little different (I think).

For a really good ride can I add shackle relocation boxes and WJ control arms, and then swap in slightly taller springs (I know I can't avoid putting new springs in because the 2 in I have now is with pucks)? This should add about an inch in the back, and minus the 2 inches or so of pucks in the front plus 3-3.5 inch coils, give me an inch in the front.

Anyone running this setup? I have heard that the WJ control arms and the shackle boxes both give a better ride.

And I know at about 3-3.5 inches of lift I will need AT LEAST a tc drop if not a full blown SYE on a 2001. Thanks in advance for any advice/answers.

(and yes I have searched for this...just couldn't find both applications being used together plus a lift. And another disclaimer: I have a bastard pack in the rear with no blocks)

Last edited:
The question I have isn't so much about the spacer to coil ('cause I know that has been beat to death with a BFH), but more of using the WJ control arms with the shackle boxes for the better ride.

Last edited:
Yes I know the topic of lifting has been covered. And covered. And covered some more. But. This is a little different (I think).

For a really good ride can I add shackle relocation boxes and WJ control arms, and then swap in slightly taller springs (I know I can't avoid putting new springs in because the 2 in I have now is with pucks)? This should add about an inch in the back, and minus the 2 inches or so of pucks in the front plus 3-3.5 inch coils, give me an inch in the front.

Anyone running this setup? I have heard that the WJ control arms and the shackle boxes both give a better ride.

And I know at about 3-3.5 inches of lift I will need AT LEAST a tc drop if not a full blown SYE on a 2001. Thanks in advance for any advice/answers.

(and yes I have searched for this...just couldn't find both applications being used together plus a lift. And another disclaimer: I have a bastard pack in the rear with no blocks)

The question I have isn't so much about the spacer to coil ('cause I know that has been beat to death with a BFH), but more of using the WJ control arms with the shackle boxes for the better ride.

im not sure im reading this correctly, but are you thinking of using the wj arms with the shackle relocation boxes. if so, the rear of an xj is a leaf spring design and doesnt use links(arms). the one end of the leaf has a fixed mount and the other end uses a moveable mount(shackle). shackle relocation boxes are used to relocate the mount for the shackle to get a better resting and operating angle for the leaf to work as designed.

the front uses links(arms) because it is coil sprung. the angle of those links(control arms) can determine how harsh the ride is.

when you say pucks, are you refering to spacers. pucks generally refer to added bumpstops on the spring perch to limit how far the suspension can cycle. spacers are located at the top of a coil spring to increase there length and provide lift.

coil springs in the front with control arms or links
the rear is leaf sprung and uses a fixed and moveable mount(shackle)

the angle of the control arms and the angle of the shackle determine how well the suspension can ride(there are other factors).

WJ control arms dont offer a better ride or more lift...the only reason people sometimes run them is because they are more beefy..

Now if you go to 3.5inchs your gona need an adj trackbar...and possibly adj lower control arms...

You would be better off to just buy a kit...

Thanks for the insight 89xj. I do know that the rear of the xj is leaf sprung and doesn't need arms.

My question still is this: Basically, when I lift another inch or two, using WJ control arms and shackle relocation boxes can I expect that much better of a ride? I have heard the the WJ controls arms help a lot because of the oval bushing at the one end, and the shackle boxes help because they fix the shackle angle.

Thanks for the help guys. I realize that I worded some stuff wrong in my first few posts. But, I'm not completely stupid :gee:

So once again, WJ control arms and shackle relocation boxes...installed where they are supposed to go...will they make that big of a difference?

(I don't expect lift out of the control arms. I know that they are just beefier replacements with a bend in the middle and oval bushings. basically forget I ever mentioned a lift atm)

Thanks for the insight 89xj. I do know that the rear of the xj is leaf sprung and doesn't need arms.

My question still is this: Basically, when I lift another inch or two, using WJ control arms and shackle relocation boxes can I expect that much better of a ride? I have heard the the WJ controls arms help a lot because of the oval bushing at the one end, and the shackle boxes help because they fix the shackle angle.

Thanks for the help guys. I realize that I worded some stuff wrong in my first few posts. But, I'm not completely stupid :gee:

So once again, WJ control arms and shackle relocation boxes...installed where they are supposed to go...will they make that big of a difference?

(I don't expect lift out of the control arms. I know that they are just beefier replacements with a bend in the middle and oval bushings. basically forget I ever mentioned a lift atm)
Iam planning on doing relocation boxes too and should be at around 3.5.

If you are going higher with the wj control arms make sure you trim the top of the axle side mount if you haven't already because they will hit shock mounts and limit flex.

To answer your question, yes shackle relocation boxes will improve the rear ride. I do not see any substantial benefit from running the WJ control arms however as it pertains to ride. About the only way you are going to improve ride in the front with a lift is to maintain control arms that are as close to parallel to the ground as possible by using drop brackets or long arms. High quality shocks can make a world of difference as well.

Ok, you guys have answered the majority of my questions :)

Next one is: Opinions from anyone running WJ control arms with shackle boxes?

I know I read somewhere that the design of the body-mount side bushing of the WJ arms provides for a better ride...correct me if I am wrong

yes, they do make a better ride, I installed them as the first thing i did to my jeep, it was completly stock. The ride was alot better, bumps were less jaring. one thing that go-jeep did wrong was he installed them the wrong way, the football end goes on the axle side. That was the way they came from the factory on the wj's, i know because I checked my wj before i installed them on my cherokee.

Back