• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TC Chain

Mezzer8

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought another XJ. A 95 with a 231 transfer case and it sounds like the transfer case is bad. Im pretty sure its probably the chain rubbing against the case as this is the problem i had with my 91. Im wondering if i can take the chain out of the transfer case with no ill effects. It seems on my 91 the transfer case went bad and got to the point where it now has a hole in the side of it and its binded up. It wont move. I dont want that to happen again. Any help or advice is also appreciated.

I dont really want to replace the chain though. If i could, id rather just find another transfer case somewhere. I don't want to spend more than 150 on a transfer case.

As far as this one, i just want to find a temporary solution until i can just replace the whole case. Another chain is damn neer 100 bucks. I dont want to spend that much on just a chain, especially when im not 100% sure that thats the "only" thing wrong in there.

and i've been to pick n pull... All the 231 tcs left in there were 21-spline...i need a 23-spline

Thats a stumper,its definately not a 95 231!
img0202k.jpg

PO swapped one in, or it was changed under warranty and that is what was available.

Well as far the chain, does anyone know whether or not the tc can run without it with no ill effects? Im not too much into changing the chain. The gear on the output to the front driveshaft has some teeth broken off of it as well. It doesn't benefit me either to put another chain in the tc when the previous owner has removed the front driveshaft.

If it's possible, id really like to take out the chain until i can find a used transfer case in good condithion. Anyone know?:dunno:

Last edited:
The oil pump runs off the main shaft, not the front output shaft, so I think you'll be fine pulling the chain. Sounds like the PO didn't read the manual and ran in 4lo on dry roads or something to me - or regeared only one axle and forgot and put it in 4hi/4lo. Check your gear ratios on the front and rear axles just to make sure...

Im not sure what happened with the TC, but i can say it has 30's. Based on speed and rpm, im pretty sure it has 4.10s in the rear. As far as the front, i have no idea. It looks like the front diff has never been opened, but the rear diff has red-colored silicone around the edges. Looks like its definitely been off before. I'll prob pull the front diff cover off one of these days when i get a chance to tear some things apart. Based on evidence, im guessing thats probably what happened. Man you know your sh*t lol. I never considered that. I know quite a bit about "cars" but i steer clear of automatic transmissions and transfer cases. And those two right there have jeep written all over em.

Thanks for the help.:)

Last edited:
I don't really know much compared to a lot of guys here... I just get bored at work and like to help out with what I do know :spin1:. If you can find a tag on the front diff that has the numbers "3 55" on it, that is almost certainly what happened. It's also why every time someone says "can I regear only one axle at a time" we say "yes but pull the front driveshaft so you don't put it in 4wd accidentally" and stick to that, even when people say "lolololol ur dum just don't use 4wd, why pull the shaft".

Simple trick to find out what gears you have in each axle - chock both wheels on the other axle, and one of the wheels on the axle you're working on. Jack ONE end of the axle up, leave the other on the ground (the one you chocked.) Put the transfer case in neutral. Use your hands to turn the wheel exactly once while counting turns of the pinion yoke. Double that number, and there's your gear ratio - for the 4.10s you think you have in the rear, you should see the pinion yoke turn approximately twice. If I'm right and you have 3.55s in the front, you should of course see around 1.75 turns on the pinion.

EDIT: this isn't gonna work if you have an autolocker or LSD in the diff, obviously... you need to jack both wheels up to test that. If you have LSD/an autolocker, you also don't double the number of pinion turns, what you see is what you get.

Last edited:
There is definitely not an LSD in the rear. I've already had this thing off the ground a few times. I rotate one wheel and the other rotates the opposite way. As far as the front, im in doubt that there is one either. That's a little illogical that they'd swap out the rear diff gears and put a locker in the front without changing the gears..

Back