• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Install a Temp gauge?

mateoruiziii

NAXJA Forum User
My Jeep does not come with a temp gauge. So I bought a 3 gauge system. It has the temp,oil pressure, and voltage. I can not figure how to install the temp gauge. Is the wiring suppose to go to the radiator or the engine sensor with the adaptor? Where exactly? The instructions are in another language.

Last the oil pressure gauge came with a tube. Where does that go? Its a 1989 jeep cherokee 6 banger 4x4.

Temp gage should go to the head with an adapter if necessary. The oil pressure sensor also needs to be "teed" in near the oil filter where your warning light is now. You could eliminate the light, but you might not see the gage, so it's best to also keep the light.

Hallo.. Mostly temp. gauge is working with a electric sensor.
The sensor is a warm/heat resistor.On my rig mounted on the top of the enginehead. Of course it is possible to have it on the rad.
But it will give you the information about the temp. too late when the thermostat fails..

wim

Easiest thing to do, is just buy a full gauge cluster, takes all of about 30 mins at most. Just a few scres and the dash panel and your golden. Just make sure you get a cluster from a 87-90 (they have the mechanical speedo) Newer ones have electrical speedo.

IIRC, there's a bit more to the early model IP swap. You do have to change the oil pressure and water temp from senders to full range sensors. Not expensive, and pretty simple to do.

So which one is it to the radiator hose or to the engine on the head? I see how to put it on the radiator. But it does make more sense to me putting it on the engine head. Where and how on the head?

I would do what Johnnie/Jeff suggested - get the oil pressure sensor, temp sensor, and gauge cluster out of a junkyard vehicle of the same year as yours, install them, be happy.

So which one is it to the radiator hose or to the engine on the head? I see how to put it on the radiator. But it does make more sense to me putting it on the engine head. Where and how on the head?

back right corner or the head. there should be a temp sensor there already for the temp dummy light. you replace that sender with a gauge sender.

The temp sensor/switch on an 89 RENIX is mounted on the radiator between the trans lines on the drivers side. Two wires and about 1-1.5 inches in diameter. This is NOT the sender for the gauge. It's the sensor/switch for the auxilliary e-fan.

OLDTEMP.jpg
:nono:

The sender for the gauge/light is on the far back corner (drivers side) of the head with one wire (ground supplied by the head). This IS the one for the gauge.

just a thought on oil pressure gauge. I haven't gotten into my 88 yet as the gauge is out, but could you find the oil filter adapter at JY with the plug for oil pressure? I think thats where it is for the instrument panel, but like I said, I haven't gotten to mine yet, so I don't know

Tee off the oil filter adapter. What did you decide for the water temp? I would be afraid that being away from the head would not give you overheat warning if your coolant was not flowing. The head could cook, but the radiator not get hot. You could get the newer tstat housing with the extra pipe thread and use that for the warning light and the current head thread for the gage(or the other way around).

Tee off the oil filter adapter. What did you decide for the water temp? I would be afraid that being away from the head would not give you overheat warning if your coolant was not flowing. The head could cook, but the radiator not get hot. You could get the newer tstat housing with the extra pipe thread and use that for the warning light and the current head thread for the gage(or the other way around).

That would be the best setup.

Back