• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snow Wheeling - Tire Chains?

01whiteXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Tire chains for snow wheeling? I'm new to the area and the mountains. I've heard some different things about requirements for chain use over the passes with a 4x4. If I need to get them for legally driving over the passes should I be thinking about how they might function for snow wheeling also?

Opinions, comments, thanks.

My .02...... chains + ice = Good, chains + Snow = Bad

Chains tend to dig into light snow. Airing down and floating on top will most often get you much farther than trying to dig down 4 ft to the road below. Not to mention the damage they can do when you do dig down to the gravil or dirt road below the snow.

Thanks for the info and advice. I'm from Minnesota and went to school in Michigan' Upper Peninsula, so lots of winter driving experience, never used chains. Just though I'd see about things considering possible cain requirements over passes.

We had a discussion similarly to this last year...IIRC the conclusion was that although the passes sometimes do require all cars to have chains, the Sheriff almost always would let you through with the Jeep. This is of course assuming your rig is a 4x4 lifted/modified, with larger mud tires, like many of ours.

I'm not saying it's a guaranteed free pass in having an obviously modified ORV (Jeep) that you'll be allowed into a pass with chains required, or that it's necessarily a good idea, just that I seem to remember many NAXJA members stating they were allowed through the pass even without chains. I know that I do not plan to buy chains to use on the road, nor to have as back-ups. However I imagine it would be a good idea to have a set just in case.

3) The Washington state department of transportation or Washington state patrol may prohibit any vehicle from entering a chain/approved traction device control area when it is determined that the vehicle will experience difficulty in safely traveling the area.
This quote here seems to be key to me...unless you look unsafe without chains, you're more likely going to be allowed it. I doubt my Jeep will look unsafe without chains in any "chains required area" to any law figure when compared to the many 2wd cars trying to get into the pass.

After purposely going out almost every night for a few hours when we had that snow/ice last year, no matter how bad the ice was, I'd still find it hard to find a NEED for chains. Although some moments would have been less puckering with chains, all my encounters were manageable/preventable.

Hope that helps!

~Scott

Last edited:
Although they will not usually check to make sure you are carrying chains, they sometimes do, and when they do they will turn you back if you don't have chains with you.

It has been a long time since I have been stopped but it does happen from time to time.

Welcome to the area!

Michael

John-

I told you that we never really carry tire chains, I haven't seen you since saturday so I hope the trip up to Baker went well, and my CO2 tank had enough left in it for your tires.

-Alex

This John?

121.jpg

Air your Duratracs down and you'll own the snow. Pass on the chains.

-----Matt-----

Thank you all for the advice on the issue. I agree, I don't think I need them, but was just trying to see if the State Patrol would ever require them. I think I'll go with no chains, that saves some money for other upgrades, yes!

Alex- I've got your tank, hose and a shiny new grade 8 bolt, nylock nut and washers for you. If you pick them up you can save on shipping.

If WSP says chains are required, you are legally required to have the chains in your vehicle, even if it's 4wd. They can upgrade the "chains required" to include 100% ALL vehicles to chain up if conditions are severe enough.

Although jeeps might not need chains i run mine when it snows bad round here just so i can pull all the dummies and their little 2wd cars out of the way and out of the ditch so i can get though. I cant count the number of people i pulled from the ditch last year. I also run my chains when i go to a mud run or am rippin around on the ranch. it turns any tires into paddles and really fa lings the mud. i run the chains with the ice grousers welded on them i don't know if they r legal in wash. but in OR they sure are and let me tell ya those r like having super studded paddles 0 slippage.

jay

If WSP says chains are required, you are legally required to have the chains in your vehicle, even if it's 4wd. They can upgrade the "chains required" to include 100% ALL vehicles to chain up if conditions are severe enough.

x2

In OR, if chains are required and a cop pulls you over they will send you back down the mountain to get chains, 4wd or not. If the passes call for chains I chain up. I'm not worried about myself but like the stopping power of chains on busy passes where A$$ holes like to go to fast and swap lanes.

As for chains when snow wheeling I don't use them. Air down and you can break trail and/or get on top and wheel. Chains dig so in really deep snow all you do is sit on the frame rails.

x2

In OR, if chains are required and a cop pulls you over they will send you back down the mountain to get chains, 4wd or not. If the passes call for chains I chain up. I'm not worried about myself but like the stopping power of chains on busy passes where A$$ holes like to go to fast and swap lanes.

As for chains when snow wheeling I don't use them. Air down and you can break trail and/or get on top and wheel. Chains dig so in really deep snow all you do is sit on the frame rails.

Last year out in buxton i plowed hood deep snow chained up all four. I wouldn't have been able to move in that stuff with out my chains. I don't care how air'd down you go nothing beats the ability to out maneuver your opponents when needed.

Back