• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grinding transfer case after SYE install

Khary23

NAXJA Forum User
I had to use 4W hi the other day and my TC was making a lot of noise. The noise was kinda like a rubbing, grinding noise. I filled the TC with fresh fluid after the SYE install so I don't think that's the problem. Has this happened to any one else?
additional info 4" lift, advance adapters SYE, XJ front drive shaft in rear.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Did the internal oil pump go together right? How about drive line angles? Did you use angle shims to point the rear pinion inline (or 1 degree lower) with the drive shaft?

I guess the transfer case would have made noise in 2wd too if you hadn't gotten the pump in correctly. I'm not sure what could cause noise like that. How about the shift linkage? Does that operate Ok?

Sounds like you didnt install the SYE correctly!

I'm trying to think what might have happened here. Range fork has a pin on the end that drops into the sector shaft, but you're talking high range. The pin on the mode fork just butts up against the edge of the sector shaft. There's a spring on the back of the rail but that just keeps the mode fork against the sector, without you'd probably have a constant buzz.

Only thing I can think of is if you flipped the mode selector collar around backwards while it was out. The teeth are beveled on the rear to engage the synchro. I don't think the thing is symmetrical offset-wise from the mode fork wear pads, so if it was backwards that might cause your problem.

edit: from your other thread.. the piece just below the brass synchro.
131_0806_08_z+jeep_tansfer_case_sye_install+front_output_yoke.jpg

Last edited:
I put it on stands and got under and took a listen in all drive ranges. No bad noises in 2WD.
It does this whirring almost grinding noise in 4 Hi and Lo that seems to be localized in the tail housing. There is also noise coming from the rear diff as well as the new to me drive shaft.
I checked the fluid in the diff and it is coffee colored and smells, so its getting changed on Friday. The DS is a front one I got use in really good shape. I changed two of the U-Joints on it, but not the one behind the ball thingy. I will get those changed and see if that helps to isolate the noise.

I also checked the TC fluid it was at the top of the fill hole and was warm, with no metal filings or burnt smell.

Last edited:
I'm trying to think what might have happened here. Range fork has a pin on the end that drops into the sector shaft, but you're talking high range. The pin on the mode fork just butts up against the edge of the sector shaft. There's a spring on the back of the rail but that just keeps the mode fork against the sector, without you'd probably have a constant buzz.

Only thing I can think of is if you flipped the mode selector collar around backwards while it was out. The teeth are beveled on the rear to engage the synchro. I don't think the thing is symmetrical offset-wise from the mode fork wear pads, so if it was backwards that might cause your problem.

edit: from your other thread.. the piece just below the brass synchro.
131_0806_08_z+jeep_tansfer_case_sye_install+front_output_yoke.jpg

All I took out were the chain, main shaft, and front shaft all at once. Every thing else stayed in the TC.

Besides the shift forks and shift hubs did you make sure that all the plastic shift fork bushings stayed intact and in place?

The weather here has sucked so I havent been able to do any work on the Jeep. The weird thing is I put it in 4WD the other day and its no longer loud and no more faint grinding noise. Could it be that the first time I used it after the SYE instal the fluid hadn't worked its way around the whole T-case prpperly?

Possible-yes,LIKELY-NO!

the parts that were in the wrong place made a new home some where. change the fluid in it. metal shavings will be at the bottom of the tcase not on the top.

Back