• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

extented bump stops with a 3" lift neccessary?

eatsleepoffroad

NAXJA Forum User
on my '00 XJ i got a rough country 3" lift, i was just inspecting my shocks and i discovered the top metal ring that hold the top of the shock boot on both my front shocks are bend or pushed up clamping my boot to the shock, the only thing i could think of that could bend that ring would be if my shock got bottomed out the first thing it would hit is that metal ring. should i have gotten extended bumpstops? what caused this? im open to any ideas. pics are available

--Justin

Yes,you should always adjust your bumpstops accordingly!

Just get a few hockey pucks and glue them inside the coil. I use JB weld on mine and you can still take them out with a hammer and screwdriver if you ever need to. You get 1" per puck so its easy to add until you have enough.

if you compare the compressed length of the new shocks to the compressed length of the old shocks it will tell you what you need to add!

best thing is to disconnect the shocks, stuff one wheel and extend the other as far as you can. this will tell you the minimum and maximum travel your suspension allows. then buy shocks outside that range to keep from destroying them, and bumpstop to keep the wheel from tearing the fender apart

yea i still have my old ones lying around so i'll compare them, now as for the hockey pucks, will they fit inside the coil but go between the stock bumpstop and the inner fender well?so basically relocating the stock stops?

when the wheel compresses, that side of the axle will travel upwards, and the pucks in the bottom of the coil will hit against the stop at the top of the coil

there's no problem drilling and tapping the bucket, just make sure you get it in the right spot. use one of the pucks to mark the position. also might want to countersink the hole in the top puck

ok, i just wanted to make it clear that the pucks would go on the bottom, and would hit the stop, not act as a spacer at the top to lower the stock stops. counter sinking does sound like a good idea too! i'll keep it in mind! anything else i should know before tackling this? any preferance on bolt size or diameter?

Search around about bumpstopping. It's a very common and basic, but easily overlooked area when modifying your Jeep.
When I first took mine out wheeling after discoing the sway bar, I forgot to check for flex and bumpstopping and tore my fenders up. The way to check is to flex your suspension and see where it lands. If you just want to bumpstop according to what you have, flex until you bottom out the shock, then measure how far between the bump stop and the axle and buy/stack pucks 1" longer than that, to give yourself a safety cushion. For limiting straps, flex your suspension until you top out the shock, then buy a strap an inch shorter than that. Do the same in the rear, but remove all but one leaf. Cut a small block to the thickness of the removed leaves to keep the height the same.

Dude, it ain't rocket science. Jam two hockey pucks into each coil spring, slather them up with RTV silicone or some other kind of glue. Stick the pucks to the round hockey puck sized spot on the lower coil spring mount. Add more pucks later, if needed.

Don't forget the rear bump stops. Use metal, wood, hockey pucks, whatever, and some longer bolts.

Back