• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rough idle with heat or ac on only

stoneyva21

NAXJA Forum User
so back in august i sank the xj in a hole at rausch creek. replaced a tps, fluids, air filter, and spark plugs. i had a rough idle that wouldn't go away. did alittle research on here and used some tb cleaner, cleaned the idle right up. then it got colder here in va. i started using my heat alittle more often, and noticed a rough idle again. sometimes it will turn over and run for a second then die(with heat or ac in on pos when key is turned), sometimes she'll start and just run like crap till i turn off the heat or ac. sometimes i dont have an issue at all, then she'll stall out after driving for a minute or two. so freakin confused!

what do you guys think is wrong? i have gone over all the vac lines top to bottom and can't find anything wrong.

Did you have any water in the cabin?

Check the ignition switch and its connector at the foot of the steering column, look for melted plastic or burnt connectors.

Try turning OFF all accessories BEFORE turning off the ignition. This will remove a spike in the load for the POS switch and wiring when you start the engine again.

she runs great with everything off, on start up and after she has warmed up.

i'll check the igi. switch, got a pic of what it looks like by any chance?

Back