• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust

Ian Christiansen

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 XJ. In the exhaust, just after the crossmember, but before the muffler, there is some thing that looks like a catalytic converter. There is no 02 near it. Is it a cat or just a resonator? If it is a cat, since there is no 02 sensor near it, can I remove it without it throwing a code?

before the muffler but after the crossmember. has to be the cat. the ones in the newer jeeps look much bigger and different than the older ones so i can see your confusion. pretty sure you can take it out without any codes my buddy took his out and no codes were thrown.

the 01' should have a cat with a 02 bung...

you can remove it with out it throwing a code but will make it not street legal.

I'm working on an 01 that has the federal emissions package. It has 2 o2 sensors--one on each manifold--and none on the cat(that thing looks way different than the earlier years).

I believe on the newer ones do not have a O2 after cat. Yes, you can remove your cat. Is it legal? NO. If you have a visual test, then you will fail. I guess you can hollow out your cat and re-install it.

It has has 3 cats. Two in the manifold y-pipe and one where all the other xj's have them. And 4 02 sensors, all in the y-pipe. Michigan doesn't do inspections or emissions testing so I'm not worried about legality. I just want to know if anyone else has been successful removing it.

It is a federal crime regardless if the state does inspections or emissions....

XJ's don't have resonators. It's the cat. It can throw codes from time to time, you can drill the sensor into a straight pipe and it will work, but as stated above the fine can be hefty if caught. Ohio doesn't have vehicle inspections so I can get away with it for now.

I would highly recommend buying and installing a new 49 state legal aftermarket catalytic converter. It will flow better than stock and still make you legal.

Back