• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it worth it?

Char-Broil

NAXJA Forum User
I have a d44 rear in my 94 xj. I put it in about a year ago, and changed out the bearings and seals at the ends of the axle tubes, and put crown vic disc brakes on it. It had 3.55 gears, lower than my stock 3.07s, i was only running 31's at the time so that was good enough for the time. Now the pinion bearing is gone and I really cant drive it at all. Its no big deal because I have the 87 i can drive, but i miss driving my 94. I can still wheel it locally, but I am not sure i want to let it sit most of the winter without running much. so my question is, should I just change the pinion bearing? Is it possible to do without pulling out the axle shafts, and carrier/ring gear? What I really want to do is a detroit electric locker, 4.56 gears and a full install kit so that everything is new, but that will cost $800-1000 and I don't see how i can come up with that kind of money before summer. so should I just park it or go ahead and change the pinion bearing and then do the full rebuild/upgrade in 4-5 months when i have the money?

Changing a pinion bearing is no big deal. Just a lot of work.
I have done it when working in dealer shops, so had all the tools necessary. (2-3 hours in a shop.)

Price the bearings, seal, crush sleeve, sealant or gasket, and juice. Maybe a new lock-nut (if it uses one)
Recommend an inch-pound torque wrench (to check drag).

Back