• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

?? for stereo gurus

Original_MudButt

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know if there are RCA input jacks in the stock AM-FM cassette 1.5 din stereo??

I would like to add an input for my Ipod shuffle, and only need the 3.5 mm mini plug.

Here:http://www.crutchfield.com/s_043183190/Arista-Stereo-Mini-to-RCA-Adapter.html?tp=1934

I have a 6 cd changer in the cargo area. It's old, beat, and won't play burned CD's. Would it be possible to use that interface somehow to hook up my Ipod?

1998 Sport w/factory 4 speaker non-Infinity.

Thanks.

Not on the pre-97... not sure about 97+ though. Pre-97 just has the 16 pin connector, it looks like (per the12volt.com's diagram) 97+ has the same.

When I disassembled my stock stereo to build a bracket for my yaesu ft2800 I did notice something though. The input to the audio amp portion of the circuit was either a multi pin ribbon cable or a dual mini-coax from the balance/volume knob board, so you could probably chop the tape deck out (who uses that anyways?) and use the space for a level changer to feed it a signal from an ipod or laptop pretty easily.

You'd be better off going and getting a new aftermarket stereo with an ipod input already built in.

The tape deck from my 97 SE, nor the tape/CD deck from my 98 Sport had RCA's. As stated above, an aftermarket head unit is probably your best bet.

Or get a tape or FM adapter.

I can only find 1 or 2 decent ones in the 1.5 din config....

Get an adapter kit. I installed a single din head unit in a cutlass ciera that had a 1.5 or double din slot. The mounting kit is like $10, and a set of stereo plugs for the head unit to plug into your factory wiring are like $5.

I HIGHLY suggest you spend the extra money for both of those items.

The tape deck from my 97 SE, nor the tape/CD deck from my 98 Sport had RCA's. As stated above, an aftermarket head unit is probably your best bet.

Or get a tape or FM adapter.

Thanks for your help, but those two options are not on my list. It's been my experience they don't work very well at all.

As for the single din w/ adapter, it's just my opinion that they look like crap....

I just looked it up. I can't seem to find a ipod adapter for the cherokee.
Your only options would be to get a cassette adapter or a wireless FM adapter.

Or buy a new stereo with a 15-20 dollar adapter kit

You could get one of these

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mgtR0a6zi1D/p_541PXDP/Peripheral-iPod-Adapter.html?tp=120

you would also need this adapter plug

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mgtR0a6zi1D/p_541PXHCH1/Peripheral-Car-Cable-Adapter.html?tp=125

it uses the plug the stock cd changer does now and from what i can tell it gets power from it as well making it plug and play
correct... charges the ipod as well plays through your radio. you can also use the radio controls to control your ipod

Back