• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shifter light

DansGreyMj

NAXJA Forum User
my shifter light has never worked on my mj since i bought it, but today i was getting of the freeway and it started to flicker, i dont really need it i would just like to have everything working, how could i fix it and how do i get the 4wd light to work

Take your dash apart pull your cluster and put in a new bulb?

The ECM applies a ground to the wire running to the up-shift indicator lamp, based on engine load and RPM. The other side of the lamp always has 12v applied to it as long as the ignition is on. Check diagnostic connector D2-11 for 12V--this connector is connected to the ckt running from the ECM to the up-shift light.
As a bulb test, the up-shift light should always go on if the ignition key is on with the engine not running. Appears you may have a bad connection someplace in the up-shift light circuit. Supposedly, there's a switch on the trans to prevent the light from working when "shifted to the highest gear". My '88 Peugeot & 4.o didn't have this switch. Not sure which models have it, if any.

DansGreyMj said:
and how do i get the 4wd light to work
if you have a disconnect axle and a np231, the "part time" light is connected to that vacuum actuator.
if you have a np242 its connected to a sensor on the rear of the shift rail on the t-case

also,

my brothers MJ has the shift light and its not the brightest light in the bunch..

when youre in 5th gear, it comes on sometimes
when youre in reverse it comes on sometimes

unless he has the ultra-rare 6 speed, 2 speed reverse BA10-5 tranny.

you arent missing out on much.

my $.02

-Tim

Back