• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Using Front Drive Shaft With AX15

'97_Red_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So, I have been reading on this for a few days and can't find a straight forward answer. I am about to install a SYE on my jeep, and I have the AX15 transmission. Does anyone know if any of the stock XJ front driveshafts would be long enough to use with 3.5" to 4.5" of lift. If so it would save me quite a bit of money and allow me to do this project sooner. Any help is appreciated.

So, I have been reading on this for a few days and can't find a straight forward answer. I am about to install a SYE on my jeep, and I have the AX15 transmission. Does anyone know if any of the stock XJ front driveshafts would be long enough to use with 3.5" to 4.5" of lift. If so it would save me quite a bit of money and allow me to do this project sooner. Any help is appreciated.

Are you experiencing vibration? Reason I ask is the AX15 is a bit more tolerant of moderate lifts.

The automatic driveshafts are longer by about an inch since the tcase sits back farther. I just checked my front d/s in the rear, sye, 4" automatic and it's got 2.25" of slip showing. That'd push yours to about 3.5 which seems excessive.

Are you experiencing vibration? Reason I ask is the AX15 is a bit more tolerant of moderate lifts.
Currently the only vibrations I am experiencing are from my 4x4 lever which I think is completely unrelated. I was just expecting to have vibrations if I went with anymore lift then the 3" I am sitting at now. I had never heard of the AX15 being more tolerant, but thinking about it now I can see how it would be since everything sits further up on the "frame rails" moderate lifts should have less impact on drive shaft angles.
Thanks,
Evan

The automatic driveshafts are longer by about an inch since the tcase sits back farther. I just checked my front d/s in the rear, sye, 4" automatic and it's got 2.25" of slip showing. That'd push yours to about 3.5 which seems excessive.
That is exactly what I expecting unfortunately. Thanks for confirming though.
Evan

no, ive tried it and measure numerous. You will need to have it lengthened.

Try a ZJ front driveshaft for your SYE, they're a bit longer. Measure what you need, go to the junkyard, measure ZJ driveshafts till you find one that lines up pretty well - it apparently works for people (I don't have a manual, so I can't confirm.)

I have been asking myself the same question lately, so thanks for starting the thread! I did heard that with the AX-15 and 4.5" of lift, a V8 ZJ front shaft will work. I have not confirmed with measurements at all... but I have been told that it works.

wouldnt that make the automatics have shorter driveshafts.

on my 89 with a 5-speed, the drive shaft is longer then an auto driveshaft. i was going to use a v8 zj driveshaft when i do a SYE.

BTW, on my 5-speed 89 with 4.5" of lift, no vibs with 1" shackle and axle shims, but the yokes are maxed out and bind at full drop.

wouldnt that make the automatics have shorter driveshafts.

on my 89 with a 5-speed, the drive shaft is longer then an auto driveshaft. i was going to use a v8 zj driveshaft when i do a SYE.

BTW, on my 5-speed 89 with 4.5" of lift, no vibs with 1" shackle and axle shims, but the yokes are maxed out and bind at full drop.
shorter rear driveshafts yes, but correspondingly longer front driveshafts.

I have an ax-15 and np231 w/ SYE at about 5 inches of lift. I had a front shaft from a V8 WJ. Worked just fine. I switched to a Tom Woods shaft, and now carry the WJ shaft as a spare.

I just did an Iron Rock Offroad Hack N' Tap SYE on my '98 with an AX-15. I used a front driveshaft from an automatic XJ. I've got about 1.5" of slip showing in the rear.

I talked to Iron Rock numerous times throughout the process and they mentioned no differences between AX and AW transmissons.

I followed their directions and I have no vibes at 4.5in.

Back