• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do you have HD Engineering frame stiffeners?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
I'm welding mine up and getting closer to finishing, but I'm wondering if everyone with these frame stiffeners filled all of the plugs and stitch welded the complete perimeter?

I was thinking 6 2" stitch welds along the top, weld the front, and 3-4 2" stitch welds along the bottom, and then fill all of the top holes with bead and maybe half of the lower ones...does this seem like a good idea?

I don't want to not "finish" the stiffener install, but I keep reading the holes seem excessive, and I figured leaving half of the bottom ones open would allow for draining. And I'm also a little worried of what I've heard about too many welds causing cracking and such. For example, is it OK to completely weld the front part of the stiffeners?

~Scott

Re: Do you have HDengineering frame stiffeners?

I'm welding mine up and getting closer to finishing, but I'm wondering if everyone with these frame stiffeners filled all of the plugs and stitch welded the complete perimeter?

I was thinking 6 2" stitch welds along the top, weld the front, and 3-4 2" stitch welds along the bottom, and then fill all of the top holes with bead and maybe half of the lower ones...does this seem like a good idea?

I don't want to not "finish" the stiffener install, but I keep reading the holes seem excessive, and I figured leaving half of the bottom ones open would allow for draining. And I'm also a little worried of what I've heard about too many welds causing cracking and such. For example, is it OK to completely weld the front part of the stiffeners?

~Scott
I welded every hole, and stitch welded complete perimter, no solid beads

I welded every hole, and stitch welded complete perimter, no solid beads

X2

X4. Every hole welded, stitched around the edges. Then I hit the plug welds with a flap wheel to make it nice and smooth.
They look just like a uni-rail with the stiffeners welded/attached. ;)
Cause I'm feeling nice I dug up this old picture. It was taken a month or so after I did them, hence the very slight bit of surface rust.
HDEngineeringStiffenersWelded.jpg

To you guys who have these installed-
I cut notches in mine so I can still bolt up my aj's rails. So, the stiffiners might be a bit weaker. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do a few little welds on the legs of the rails? I imagine it would just add even more strength.

I really don't foresee my self having to take the rails off again.

Back