• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 Jeep Transmission ?'s

UnKn0wn

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 Jeep Cherokee( 4.0 Think its a AW4. np242 ) It has 155xxx miles on it. Tranny is making a quiet ticking noise ( Yes tranny ) and i changed the tranny fluid and Filter ( Found the filter kit i needed, Was a 00 jeep wrangler tranny?.. ) Think someone put a wrangler tranny in it. When fluid was changed i found a small half moon shaped piece of metal in the pan. Never did figure out what it was.. been running it since..
Check engine light has always been on and off. My scaner says TCC Malf.

Just kept driving it like it was, Now its leaking ( Bad ) out of the bellhousing. Guessing front seal on tranny, or TQ C..

My ?'s.. is the wrangler tranny the same as the Xj tranny? ( Reason for Check engine light? )

Im not gonna rebuild it or put a wrangler tranny back in it. ima find a used low millage Xj tranny for it.

Anyone have any inputs?..

are the wrangler and Xj trannys the same? ( DIfferent gears? )

Thanks
Jonathan

The Wrangler used a different auto tranny, so you probably have the AW4. TCC Malfunction, might be a bad solenoid. The ticking sound could be a broken flexplate. You should be able to search on both issues for more info.

The Wrangler used a different auto tranny, so you probably have the AW4. TCC Malfunction, might be a bad solenoid. The ticking sound could be a broken flexplate. You should be able to search on both issues for more info.

Agree, and if you really did manage to stuff a Wrangler filter in there you had better switch it out and get the correct filter in it.

Go to NAPA, they have the right parts.

Let me guess, Autozone or O'Reilly?

Ok let me try this agian, My Previous post probly didnt make sense.

I have a 99 Xj

Bought a cherokee filter kit for it.. ( Wrong one )
Tranny has been out before ( Previous owner )
Only kit that would fit it was for a wrangler.

I'm assuming a wrangler tranny has been put into the jeep.

Possibly why the TCC code was on.
Mabe different sensors?. Idk.

Tranny was pulled tonight because of bad leak that just popped up in bellhousing area.

Im gonna use the bar-code numbers on tag and try to figure it out.
Also im gonna go pick up a tranny out of a 99 xj sat with only 76xxx miles on it to replace the other one.

Was just looking for input.

Thanks
Jonathan

No way to know if it's cracked unless the trans is completely out. I really doubt someone put a Wrangler trans in it- should be easy enough to find a pic of an AW4 to verify.

Between the noise, tcc code and the leak in the front it sure sounds like a converter issue.

Again, there's no way you could know that without pulling the transmission. They sometimes crack around the hub- where it bolts to the crank- how are you going to see that unless the tranny's off, I wonder?

Posted above 2 hrs ago. "Tranny was pulled tonight because of bad leak that just popped up in bellhousing area."

Trannys has been out of jeep for almost 4 1.2 hrs now.

Back