• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I've tried searching - 4" lift on 32's...

boostleak

NAXJA Forum User
A good friend of mine just picked up an '01 2 door XJ from his parents for a song (especially considering it's only got 50k on the clock), and promptly ordered a 4" Iron Rock Critical Path long arm kit for it.
First things first - anyone with a 4" lift and either 31's or 32's, please post pics, as well as advice on trimming and wheel offset. I'm at 6.5" and 33x12.5's, so plenty of trimming was in order. He'd like to get away with a minimal amount of trimming.
He'd like to stick with the stock 16" 5 spoke wheels - they look great, and I personally like retaining a little of the OEM look in a build. Spacers aren't out of the question. I think a 32x10.5 would be plenty of tire, though I think someone told him to go wider - I think it's start looking a bit out of proportion and he may end up with tire rub if he goes wider without going to another wheel.
Also, if anyone has installed this kit already, please post up your experience. He's installing it this week while his wife is out of the country, I'll be stopping by to help him in the evenings. It looks and sounds (Iron Rock's customer service, up to this point, seems outstanding) as though it should be pretty easy. The control arm mount/crossmember sounds as though it practically falls together, so there's not much to screw up in terms of measuring.
Anyway - he's out tire shopping at the moment - any assistance would be appreciated.

you are at 6.5" with 33's and you had to do alot of trimming? im at 5" with 35's and had to trim you can stick 37's under your 6.5" lift. Tell him to install the lift and trim appropriately. 3.75 bs wheels will work for him. google image pulls up a ton of pics with 4"lift and 33's try there for pics

Dude, there are sooooo many threads about trimming, ride height and tire sizes. You should try searching these forums. !!!1

I have 35's on 6" and trimmed. on an older rig, I had 4.5 and 31's no trim, no rub.

Yeah, this is the second XJ I've owned with a 6.5" lift - both required trimming for 33's - but I'm also running a long arm and it flexes up quite a bit. I ran the 33's without trimming much on the first one, I slashed up my tires and started ripping up my fenders when hitting the trail. I'm sure I could get away with 35's on my current setup, but with the stock 30 and 8.25 still under the rig, it's not something I'll be doing soon. 37's would be a massive stretch without major surgery, but as I intend to always run some sort of flare, I doubt that'll ever be an option.

Last edited:
You've never heard of bump stops before have you? Bump stop your rig accordingly and you'll never have to trim depending on lift/tires. I ran a 3" lift with 31's with no trimming for a awhile at one point.

~Scott

I'm on 3" with 31's and only get rubbing at full lock, and the rub is on the control arms, not the sheet metal.

Eric

Yeah, this is the second XJ I've owned with a 6.5" lift - both required trimming for 33's - but I'm also running a long arm and it flexes up quite a bit. I ran the 33's without trimming much on the first one, I slashed up my tires and started ripping up my fenders when hitting the trail. I'm sure I could get away with 35's on my current setup, but with the stock 30 and 8.25 still under the rig, it's not something I'll be doing soon. 37's would be a massive stretch without major surgery, but as I intend to always run some sort of flare, I doubt that'll ever be an option.

I'm sorry but I dont understand why you need to "trim" with 6.5" lift and 33's? You got a high COG right now. Just like muddybeast said bump stops are you friends for your buddies and especially for yourself. I too have longarms and 35" krawlers and only a 5" lift. Works great

yeah, i trimmed with 33"s and 4.5" of lift.. and i flex just fine. if i was re-geared i would step up to 35"s..

I'm sorry but I dont understand why you need to "trim" with 6.5" lift and 33's? You got a high COG right now. Just like muddybeast said bump stops are you friends for your buddies and especially for yourself. I too have longarms and 35" krawlers and only a 5" lift. Works great

So I'll have a lower center of gravity with 35's or 37's? Sounds mighty logical. Thanks for the info, I'll make sure I take that in to consideration next time I'm in the market for tires.

MuddyBeast - I'll take the sarcasm as the equivalent of a friendly punch in the arm as I'm in a good mood today. I'm aware of the existence of bump stops, and employ them myself. If I were running a long enough stop to keep my 33's from rubbing within the confines of a stock, untrimmed fender, losing a few inches of uptravel seems more detrimental to trail performance. Stuffing the tire that last couple of inches could be the difference between making in over an obstable or unloading and going over.

If a mod is reading this - it was indeed pointless - please delete this thread. There are just too many options and setups out there to condense them down in to one solid solution - we'll just work it out. I've honestly never used the "Image" funtion of the Google search until today - just never had a use for it - sorry for wasting your time with that request.
Like Bronzewyrm acknowledged, if you intend to flex the rig up, you WILL be trimming. My XJ sees the trail at least twice a month. Sometimes, twice a weekend (I live about 35 minutes from TSF). I don't run the big rocks, but we hit plenty of trails that will twist things up pretty good - many times while at full lock. If I try hard enough, I'm sure I could still get some rub somewhere.
I was trying to help a buddy out by finding out what tire he'd be able to fit on the stock wheel - both to save a little scratch, and because they'd look great. It seemed reasonable to think that someone within the local forums could be running a similar setup and may have some advice.

I don't think anyone was tryiing to piss in your cheerios. This is just a topic that has no real answer, just opinions and different ways to do it.

Trust me - the replies I got didn't bother me half as much as my thread seemed to bother others. On to bigger, better things. Like 'yo momma ;) . I keep getting these forums (and others like it) confused with social networking sites, need to treat it like a resource guide.

articulate1.jpg

4 1/2 in lift no bumps no limit straps and 31's

Heck, I ran 32's on 4.5 and no trimming for 2 years. You would get a little rub at full articualtion but nothing that hurt anything. I my rims are a 1" offset.
julyjeep6.jpg

naxja1.jpg

IMG_6851.jpg

Last edited:
Not much maturity showing here in this thread but I will provide what I know anyway.

I have 4" of lift and run 33x12 swampers (about the same as most 35" radials) they are bumpstopped and LOTS of trimming. I could easily fit 37's if I adjusted my bumpstops.

I know someone else who runs 32x10.5 swampers on the stock rims with 4" of lift and very little trimming (with bumpstops).

I think that you will find that you can stuff what ever tire/wheel combo you want in there but will have to trim accordingly. the 32" on stock wheel combo should be able to be done cleanly, the wider aftermarket wheels will require additional trimming, but will not rub as much at full steering.

You may be able to install the lift in a day but it might take a year of incremental adjustments to make it all work right (bumpstops and trimming).

Michael

Not much maturity showing here in this thread but I will provide what I know anyway.

I have 4" of lift and run 33x12 swampers (about the same as most 35" radials) they are bumpstopped and LOTS of trimming. I could easily fit 37's if I adjusted my bumpstops.

I know someone else who runs 32x10.5 swampers on the stock rims with 4" of lift and very little trimming (with bumpstops).

I think that you will find that you can stuff what ever tire/wheel combo you want in there but will have to trim accordingly. the 32" on stock wheel combo should be able to be done cleanly, the wider aftermarket wheels will require additional trimming, but will not rub as much at full steering.

You may be able to install the lift in a day but it might take a year of incremental adjustments to make it all work right (bumpstops and trimming).

Michael

Thanks, Michael - your input is appreciated. My friend got most of the "hard stuff" done on his lift yesterday - sounds like that Iron Rock kit is pretty straight forward. I think he's trying to pick up new tires within the next day or two - the info contained in the last two posts will come in handy.

Back