• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.5" Leaf Pack or 3.5" with shackle?

TurtleBoyPW5

NAXJA Forum User
I recently ordered a 5.5" long arm from IRO and just noticed it was sent with a 3.5" leaf spring and shackle yet the description states a full 5.5" leaf pack. I was offered a new pack as it was mistake in the description and they normally do send it with the 3.5" and shackle.

Did I make the right choice by saying I would stick with the 3.5" and shackle as I was told it allows for better articulation and road comfort or should I have asked for the new 5.5" leaf pack?

Benefits of each?

Thanks!:dunce:

Also check your shackle angle after your install. When I went over 4.5 on my lift I noticed a harsher ride. Ended up my shackle was almost at 90*. You want it at 30*-45*(correct me if I'm wrong). After I installed the relocation bracket my XJ rode like a caddy. Not really but has a stock suspension feel. I also gained a .5" and more droop.

Also check your shackle angle after your install. When I went over 4.5 on my lift I noticed a harsher ride. Ended up my shackle was almost at 90*. You want it at 30*-45*(correct me if I'm wrong). After I installed the relocation bracket my XJ rode like a caddy. Not really but has a stock suspension feel. I also gained a .5" and more droop.

That can be solved with shackle relocation brackets. Haha, Beat ya to it Brian!

xWhatever on what's been said above
Also - without going to a longer spring, as you add lift you necessarily wind up adding arch to the spring which doesn't do your flex / ride any favors. A 3.5" pack is going to be flatter, ride better and flex better than a 5.5" spring of roughly equivalent length. WIth relocation brackets and a shackle, you'll still sit at 5.5" but get better performance.

Back