• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 from a 94 XJ in to a 98?

hoodride

NAXJA Forum User
I need to know if an AW4 from a 2WD 94 XJ with a 4.0 will be a direct bolt in to a 2WD 98 XJ with a 4.0. I know the tranny and the mounts are the same I am just wondering if there would be any difference in the computers that would effect the 98? Email [email protected], Thanks.

It will bolt up, but the AW4 had some sensor changes in 97. The rear output speed sensor changed pules/rev and a front input speed sensor was added. The 94 will not work right with the 98 computer.

What's your tranny problem? The AW4 is a pretty reliable tranny, and usually the problems are electrical such as a bad TPS sensor.

Thanks thats exactly what I needed to know. I bought the Jeep cheap to fix up (knew it needed a tranny, rear end), it most likely has an exploded planitary as it goes in all gears and moves but just grinds, slips and slams in and out. The rear end is fine, it runs great and there aren't any driveshaft issues so its gotta be the tranny. I found it bizarre that it needed one too as I've never seen an AW4 break especially with only 132K! The tail shaft seal was leaking and it was low on fluid so they must have run it too low for too long. Should any 2WD XJ/TJ AW4 97-01 work? Thanks alot for the info.

TJ's and YJ's didnt come with the AW4

Back