• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What scan tool would you recommend?

rmm727

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for an OBD2 scan tool, preferably under $100. What do you own and do you like it? I looking to read codes and possibly do some other more advanced things that I haven't looked into yet.

I have an ACTRON for my Nissan, the Camry, and the Ford Ranger.

It's easy to use, accurate info, works on all 3 vehicles and hooks up yo my computer, give me printouts etc.

Several versions from $80 to $150, mine was $120

I also have the Actron. Works well and offers freeze frame, manufacturer specific codes and their descriptions, and pc upgrades and printouts. Very good tool. I have the same one Autozone uses when they scan your codes for free.

Then it depends on the "advanced" things you want to do.

I got mine from HF on sale for less that $80. It not only displays the codes but gives me the description. It can store the readings so I can review offline and compare later. Generic and Manu codes built it.

Then it depends on the "advanced" things you want to do.

I got mine from HF on sale for less that $80. It not only displays the codes but gives me the description. It can store the readings so I can review offline and compare later. Generic and Manu codes built it.

Well, basically I have 3 different vehicles that I could use it on. My Jeep, my Malibu, and my wife's Vibe. I appears as if the CPS is going bad in my Malibu and I was told that a scan tool is used so that the computer can re-learn the new one. My wife's Vibe has the CEL on.

I guess I'm looking for a little more than a bare bones model.

To reset/relearn you need a bi-directional tool. You can Google "Genisys 3696" which is last years model and usually has 08 update coupons. It's a great tool and is updateable. Plan to spend $1200. If you want cheap you might as well by one that gives you live data, Actron CP9180 or AutoXray AX4000 are decent OBD2 tools.

Actron is probably the best one for the dollars. I've been hunting around looking for a chrysler one from one of the closed dealers, no luck so far, darn...

I have a BluePoint YA3160 from the Snap-On truck. It's similar to the one that Checker has but has a few more features. Live data is a must have, bi-directionals are nice but then you get over $1000.

Live data lets you look at real time inputs to the pcm to see what it sees without having to backprobe connectors. Essential.

the Innova 3100 series are really nice. I have a 3130 generic OBDII w/live data. it also offers an ABS upgrade. It was around $200. I really don't think you'll find any scan tool worth a damn for at or under $100. Those are mainly code readers and aren't really very powerful tools. If you need to perform any relearn procedures you'll easily be looking at a machine worth $1000 or more (new).

+1 on the Innova 3100 series.

My 3130 has already paid for itself, as far as I'm concerned. Live data is extremely handy for tracking down oddities.

the Innova 3100 series are really nice. I have a 3130 generic OBDII w/live data. it also offers an ABS upgrade. It was around $200. I really don't think you'll find any scan tool worth a damn for at or under $100. Those are mainly code readers and aren't really very powerful tools. If you need to perform any relearn procedures you'll easily be looking at a machine worth $1000 or more (new).

Does a cps replacement require a relearn?

The consensus is that I should get a scan tool with live data then. I will look up the Actron units.

Scangauge II

It reads codes and plenty of other data, including gas mileage, intake air temp, coolant temp, etc.

http://www.scangauge.com/

DIGITAL GAUGES Display 4 gauges at a time from the 12 built-in digital gauges. the information is presented in Real-time!
  • Fuel Economy
  • Fuel Rate
  • Battery Voltage
  • Coolant Temperature
  • Intake Air Temperature
  • Engine Speed (RPM)
  • Vehicle speed (MPH)
  • Manifold Pressure (not available on some vehicles)
  • Engine Load
  • Throttle Position
  • Ignition Timing
  • Open/Closed Loop

SCAN TOOL The ScanGaugeII allows you to troubleshoot your own car, read error codes, and the conditions present when the error occurred. You can also turn off the “Check Engine” light and avoid those costly trips to the mechanic.
  • Reads Trouble Codes
  • Reads conditions that set the Trouble Code
  • Clears Trouble Codes
  • Turns off the "Check Engine" light
  • Tells you when vehicle is "Ready" to pass OBDII testing
  • Make and store up to 10 rewritable special codes
    to send to the vehicle computer

One thing nice about the AutoXray is it's built in the USA and you get enhanced data above the normal OBD2 protocal with GM, Ford, Chrysler, and Toyota. Typically with OBD2 you will only get about 20 live data streams, with enhanced you will get 60 to 80 depending on the vehicle. For GM vehicles with distributors you can see cam retard and dial the timing in wthin 3 degrees without needing to do a relearn. Do a Google search for the AX6000 which also does domestic OBD1 but Chrysler Jeeps only.

Definately get one with live data.

If you need to do a relearn you can do the work and pay a shop to do the relearn if needed.

Back