• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44 rear axle seal question/clarification

Shomsky462

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
i have a rear dana 44 from a 87 cherokee i just want to clarify that there is only one seal per side right? is there no seal in the diff?

i have the shafts out right now and ive never seen a seal on the diff side and i dont think there is supposed to be one. But the guy thats doing my front axle swears that theres supposed to be one on the inside.

im thinking that the reason its leaking so bad is that the part of the shaft that sits on the seal is worn down and there isnt as tight a seal as there was before... because the seal looks perfectly fine. no tears or anything.

can someone please school me on this?
and if anybody has part numbers on the seals/bearings thatd be great.

thanks,
Shomsky

Part number information and clarification in this post.

Additionally, I had the same problem with leaking seals. I guess I'm a slow learner because it wasn't until I replaced my bearings and seals for the third time that I finally installed Speedi-sleeves. You can pick them up at Napa (Part #99187) and they work perfectly. They are about $30 each but I figure if they keep you from leaking and save you from buying another set of seals, they are well worth it (unless you plan to upgrade your shafts in the near future). I'd also recommend Napa seals (Part #18731) as they seem to be heavier duty, better constructed seals than the Timkens.

Front axles = inner seals

Rear axles = outer seals

I have a shop regearing my 87 d44 right now and the tech is saying the same thing...that there is an inner seal in there. Now I am really confused because I just did the rear bearings/outer seals in the fall and I did NOT see any inner seal. WTF? They are saying that one was installed in there when it shouldn't have, robbing the bearing of lube, and they suggest replacing the bearings again. Would the inner seal sit right where the tube meets the center housing? All that was there was a small bead of rtv which I replaced. I'm an hour away so can't just pop in to see wtf is going on.

I have a shop regearing my 87 d44 right now and the tech is saying the same thing...that there is an inner seal in there. Now I am really confused because I just did the rear bearings/outer seals in the fall and I did NOT see any inner seal. WTF? They are saying that one was installed in there when it shouldn't have, robbing the bearing of lube, and they suggest replacing the bearings again. Would the inner seal sit right where the tube meets the center housing? All that was there was a small bead of rtv which I replaced. I'm an hour away so can't just pop in to see wtf is going on.
The inner end of the axle tude is sealed to the diff housing with a bead of RTV. You need the diff oil to go to the outside end of the axle shaft to lube the bearings. There should only be a seal just outboard of the bearing next to the axle flange.

The inner end of the axle tude is sealed to the diff housing with a bead of RTV. You need the diff oil to go to the outside end of the axle shaft to lube the bearings. There should only be a seal just outboard of the bearing next to the axle flange.

I agree and that's exactly how I put it all back together (and how it came apart) back in the fall. I can't figure out how the tech figures there is an inner seal there now? Maybe the tech mistook the rtv bead for a seal? Perhaps lost in translation between the tech, the counter guy and me.

Edit: So I just got off the phone with the shop and I guess the inner seal is actually not visible unless the carrier is removed which explains why I didn't see it. Seems the seal wasn't even proper fit and was siliconed in there. If I remember correctly, the previous owner of the 87 XJ I bought and pulled this d44 from had mentioned he had replaced the seals and had leakage issues. I'm betting he threw the inner seal in there attempting to fix the problem.

Last edited:
Somewhere in the past this was all discussed .Only the early D44 in the CJ,s had an inner seal.They also had greasable axle bearings/two piece axle shaft/flange.
On the D44 in the XJ,s--when the axle was assembled a ring of RTV was applied between the tube and center section,as they were pressed together a "black O-ring" was formed at the end of the center section,tight against the bearing cap. Usually when re-building an old axle this O-ring will be found and we think it is another seal. Its not--just throw it away.

Wayne

Usually when re-building an old axle this O-ring will be found and we think it is another seal. Its not--just throw it away.

So I take it there is no need to lay down a new bead of RTV; the RTV remaining between the tube and center section is all that is necessary to keep it leak free?

I have been through the same scenario myself. When I pulled my D44 apart, I found the same sloppy o-ring that was between the inner bearing race and axle tube.

I am going to school to become a diesel and heavy duty equipment mechanic and they have instructed us that with axles that only have outer rear wheel seals, the proper way to prepare the axle with lube is to fill the differential housing level with the bottom of the fill plug hole with the specified gear oil. Then tilt the axle with jack stands so that the gear oil will flow down to the wheel bearing. (assuming the axle is already assembled with seals installed) Allow the oil to soak in for 2 min. Repeat the same procedure with the other side. Next, level the axle and top off as needed with gear oil, but be sure that fluid is level with the bottom of the drain plug or else foaming or lack of lubrication could occur.

:repair:

-Brian

So I take it there is no need to lay down a new bead of RTV; the RTV remaining between the tube and center section is all that is necessary to keep it leak free?

Yes, that is what we hope.
But after 20+ years of use that is asking alot.
Most will not leak...

Wayne

Back