• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken lower power steering bolt

Khary23

NAXJA Forum User
Seeing how it looked like it was going to rain I decided to put off my SYE until tomorrow and put on my high country off road tow hooks. The direction call for you to remove the two lower power steering bolts. I started on the first one and bam it snapped. I want to know if any one has any Ideas about getting it out. There's a good amount of bolt left inside so I don't think I can drill it and use a bolt extractor. Is it ok to drive?
Heres a picture of the bolt

PA310220.jpg

I"d not drive it till it was fixed. Go ahead and pull the box off so you can at least see what you're doing. You could try heat and a pipe wrench if theres enough bolt left sticking out.That along with a good penetrating oil should help free it up.

Acetone and ATF. It's the best penetrating oil.

At this point I'd probably just pull the steering box (and replace/upgrade if that's in your budget).
Given that the bolt snapped in half I doubt it's going to be possible to remove the stub with the box still in the truck but you never know. Even if you decide to re-use it it'll still be a lot easier to fix on the bench by drill and tap.

Did you work on the other two bolts yet? Might want to try them as well before you get too far into removing just the broken one.

I hate it when bolts snap like that...."BAM!"..."crap that just added at least 2 hours to this job".....usually just a total pain in the ass since they're seldom in an easily accessible location.

Re: UPDATE

Took the box out and the spacer is totally corroded where that bold was. I was able to get what was left of the bolt out with the use of my torch and vise grips.

Really common problem,thats why you want to replace it with a C-Rok type spacer.

Back