• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

belt tensioner is missing

0. Go to a junkyard and get a spare power steering pump bracket, idler pulley, and idler pulley tensioner bolt assembly for ten bucks. There are a bolt or two on the front of the block, a bolt on an arm down below the exhaust manifold, and three bolts up by the power steering pump holding this in, it can be removed or installed without dropping the engine if you use a little ingenuity.
1. Loosen the bolt in the center of the idler pulley
2. Find the 14mm (I think, might be 15 or 16) bolt head right below and to the right of the temperature sensor on the thermostat housing. Loosen/tighten this as desired.
3. Tighten the pulley bolt back down

there is a step right after 1 or 3 where you replace the assembly with the one you got at the junkyard because your tensioner bolt torqued off, that's why step 0 is there - cheap insurance. I kept my old assembly as a spare, eventually I'll get around to soaking it in PBBlaster for long enough that the bolt will unfreeze.

through the power steering pump. there are 4 bolts and a tension bolt.
Nope

The yellow arrow points to the idler pulley.
The orange arrow points to the bolt you need to loosen first with a 15mm socket.
The red arrow points to the bolt that when tightened or loosened will move the pulley, increasing or decreasing tension on the belt.

DSC_0002.jpg

Back