• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood Strut Kit

Been wondering about the same mod as I wander the c4c laiden junkyards...WJs and a lot of other vehicles have hood struts. It doesnt look like it would take too much to make it work.

I grabbed the shocks off an XJ tailgate, cut the one whole so it was a slot and it fit under the hood henge bolts perfectly.

put the ball joints thru a piece of metal 1"x2" and welded that to the side of the engine bay (quarter panel) and it works great.
I'll see if I can get some pics, but its quite simple and very effective.

there are also some write-ups on using stock parts too... other than the piece of metal and the welding, everything is stock on mine.

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/Exterior.htm
About 1/2 way down. Two small pieces of angle, some self-tappers & the rear strut from an XJ's hatch. OEM junkyard parts FTW! Even worn out, a single rear strut ought to lift the hood no problem. Hell, replace the ones in your hatch & have a hoot lift with a spare.

the redlines are excellent.

I just put the Redlines on last week. I should've done that a couple years ago. Simple stupid to put on too. Most excellent.

anyone who buys a hood strut kit should be ashamed of themselfs, 95% of your materials are ALLREADY on the jeep!

replace the old and weak rear hatch struts, and use one of the old ones for the hood, fab up 2 brackets....done.

it literally took 15 minutes, and thats working very, very slowly....

tisk tisk!

I have the Redlines, and like them. As you noted, the Hood Lift does mount further back on the hood. But then that requires more leverage to close them. Fordguy has the Hood Lift on his XJ and he says that his hood is starting to buckle where the strut is mounted.

Fordguy has the Hood Lift on his XJ and he says that his hood is starting to buckle where the strut is mounted.
whoa! with the RedLines?

whoa! with the RedLines?

The ones that RJR sells is called the "Hood Lift". I was referring to these. The Redline Tuning ones are great. I've had them on two Jeeps.

The ones that RJR sells is called the "Hood Lift". I was referring to these. The Redline Tuning ones are great. I've had them on two Jeeps.

whew! ok, i thought for a moment that i might have made a mistake going with the redlines.

I've had the ones from Hoodlift for about 6 months and they work great so far, no buckling or anything like that. I think as long as you don't pull down too hard & too fast you won't have a problem.

http://www.hoodlift.com

Jim

I think as long as you don't pull down too hard & too fast you won't have a problem.

but it's no fun if you can't pull it hard and fast

Thanks for all the info. I am going with the Redlines. I know that I could make them myself, and while it is satisfying for me to make things, I'd rather shell out the $$ for these because of the powdercoated hardware and the warranty.

Is there a big difference between the different 'kits' that redlines offers other than price? Are the price differences worth the extra money? I've made kits for jeeps in the past, but it'd be NICE to just buy something that's all there and do a simple install vs. working to fab all the stuff f/various parts. Guess I'm getting old... Ha.

Back