• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this Gizmo ?

Hylander

NAXJA Forum User
Today I heard a knocking sound from my brand new engine and almost threw a Tizzy Fit, then upon closer inspection I find it is this thing Ticking away.
So what is this and is it suppose to be ticking ?

IMG_0479.jpg

I think that's the evap purge solenoid? Might be the EGR solenoid but I doubt it.

I think that's the evap purge solenoid? Might be the EGR solenoid but I doubt it.

Evap purge solenoid is correct, and if it ain't tickin' is when you should be worried.

dang i need to clean my engine bay im not used to seeing something so clean.

On 90 or later - or all models?

What the OP has is a post-90 firewall mounted EVAP cannister solenoid, on vehicles without the EGR system. On 90 and earlier with the EGR system the EGR vacuum/EVAP canister solenoid are a combined unit located on the DS fenderwell.

PS--checked the beauty shot, nice ride for $250!

I'm pretty sure my 96 has one right there, could be remembering one of the half million 97+s I've been under the hood of though... will check at lunch if I remember

Back