• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle compatibility

LOUD02Special

NAXJA Forum User
I have to replace the 8.25 in my 96 Country 4 door, and am considering purchasing one from another local member. However, it is from a '99. Is this possible to swap? If so, is there anything that will need to be changed to acommodate it? Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for the wicked newb questions.

Should be fine. The parking brake cables are different lengths, so keep yours.
What's wrong with the one you have? The 8.25's in '96 are either 27 or 29 spline the only way to know for sure is count, but unless you are wheeling it hard, it shouldn't matter.

Should be fine. The parking brake cables are different lengths, so keep yours.
What's wrong with the one you have? The 8.25's in '96 are either 27 or 29 spline the only way to know for sure is count, but unless you are wheeling it hard, it shouldn't matter.

For one my mechanic said whoever worked on it last (I just purchased it in September as a daily driver to keep my car off the road) over-filled the diff and there were also a LOT of metal shavings. It drove with a LOUD grinding noise from the rear prior to discovering it. He said it would be easier to just replace the whole thing.

EDIT: I also have a line on one I found on car-part.com for $125 that's in a junk yard down the street from my house. It's got about 100k on it and it's already on the shelf. This one is from a '98 with a 3.55 ratio.

Last edited:
If you have (or want to use) 4wd then the differential ratios need to match front and rear.

If you have an AW4 auto then 3.55 would be stock, AX15 then 3.07.

you're going to want a set of brand new U-bolts to install it, since you're rust belt. You can buy them from quadratec for like 65 bucks or probably a lot less at a truck spring shop.

Let me know if you need help installing, I'm only like an hour's drive away.

you're going to want a set of brand new U-bolts to install it, since you're rust belt. You can buy them from quadratec for like 65 bucks or probably a lot less at a truck spring shop.

Let me know if you need help installing, I'm only like an hour's drive away.

I probably will get new ones, but you wouldn't believe this Jeep was from New England if you saw the underside of it. It's the only one I've found in months of searching that had solid floors. Is there anything at all though that doesn't work from a 98 to a 96 as far as the axle swap? I appreciate all the help.

BTW, here she is. Below it is why I bought the XJ. I want to keep it off the road in the winter and away from the city where I work.

0909091753b.jpg

P1010224.jpg

Last edited:
I probably will get new ones, but you wouldn't believe this Jeep was from New England if you saw the underside of it. It's the only one I've found in months of searching that had solid floors. Is there anything at all though that doesn't work from a 98 to a 96 as far as the axle swap? I appreciate all the help.
aslong as its another 8.25 it will bolt in except for the ebrake cables, if its a d35 you will have to swap out driveshafts

aslong as its another 8.25 it will bolt in except for the ebrake cables, if its a d35 you will have to swap out driveshafts

Awesome. I'll probably go pick up that one near my house tomorrow. It's listing at $125 and it's from a yard I've dealt with before. They give 30 days on their parts so there's some coverage. Also, does ABS/non ABS matter? I don't think my 96 even has it. I really need a build sheet for the dam thing.

nahh shouldn't matter at all. As long as you don't have ABS (you should see the ABS light flash momentarily when you turn the key, and there will be an ABS pump/modulator unit under the hood, and if you REALLY jam on the brakes you'll feel them pulse, and you will see a small rubber covered electrical cable going to each wheel as well as the brake line - these mean you have ABS) it should just bolt right up. If you do have ABS you can either (a) pull the fuse to disable it, and pull the rear sensors so they don't drag on the ground, or (b) modify the brake backing plates and install tone rings on your axle shafts if you want to keep the ABS working. There is a thread about this latter mod somewhere around here, searching for "naxja 8.25 abs" on google should turn it up I think.

EDIT: I was way wrong, the thread is about adding ABS pickups/tone rings to a 44. It might be adaptable info, but I'm not sure if there is space for a tone ring and pickup in an 8.25 brake drum... thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=998638

Last edited:
nahh shouldn't matter at all. As long as you don't have ABS (you should see the ABS light flash momentarily when you turn the key, and there will be an ABS pump/modulator unit under the hood, and if you REALLY jam on the brakes you'll feel them pulse, and you will see a small rubber covered electrical cable going to each wheel as well as the brake line - these mean you have ABS) it should just bolt right up. If you do have ABS you can either (a) pull the fuse to disable it, and pull the rear sensors so they don't drag on the ground, or (b) modify the brake backing plates and install tone rings on your axle shafts if you want to keep the ABS working. There is a thread about this latter mod somewhere around here, searching for "naxja 8.25 abs" on google should turn it up I think.

EDIT: I was way wrong, the thread is about adding ABS pickups/tone rings to a 44. It might be adaptable info, but I'm not sure if there is space for a tone ring and pickup in an 8.25 brake drum... thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=998638

I'm thinking it won't be an issue at all because in car-part.com's choices they offer when searching, ABS isn't an option at all on the 8.25. It's only offered as a choice in the search menu for the danas.

Awesome. I'll probably go pick up that one near my house tomorrow. It's listing at $125 and it's from a yard I've dealt with before. They give 30 days on their parts so there's some coverage. Also, does ABS/non ABS matter? I don't think my 96 even has it. I really need a build sheet for the dam thing.

if you have a 8.25 you dont have it, simple as that

Back