• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 9 inch

96TNXJ

NAXJA Forum User
All right Ive been searching and there is a TON of info some of it is confusing. Im looking at getting a ford 9 inch for the rear of the XJ and want full width so far what I have got out of everything that Ive read is that I want it to have the N on it, be big bearing, have 31 spline, and be out of a F150 or E150 1980+. The reason for the 1980+ is so that the explorer disk brakes will work. So my question is am I missing anything or is this about it? Anything that you would do different now? My Xj is a 96 and on 33s with 355s I plan on turning it to just trail sometime and want it to have at the least a 35s so for gears Im thinking 488s.

What front are you going to run with it? You seem to have it but rememver the 80+ 9" is rarer. They started using the 8.8 in 80 IIRC.

I was thinking a full width HP D44. Good Idea or no?

NM I see. I ran the 9" with a D30 and the HP 44. IF you are going to run 35's I'd go with either an xj D44 or 8.25.

I was wanting to go with a 35 to start with and go bigger later as I go so I dont have to change anything other then the tires later :)

I was wanting to go with a 35 to start with and go bigger later as I go so I dont have to change anything other then the tires later :)

If I were building a rig for 35's I would use factory axle's and when things break get cromo shafts. I have gone from 31's to 33's to 36's to now 42's. Take it or leave it but the 9"/D44 would not be in my plan for 35's. The pionion alone is reason enough. A D44/30 combo with cromo axles can live with 35's. JMHO.

If I were building a rig for 35's I would use factory axle's and when things break get cromo shafts. I have gone from 31's to 33's to 36's to now 42's. Take it or leave it but the 9"/D44 would not be in my plan for 35's. The pionion alone is reason enough. A D44/30 combo with cromo axles can live with 35's. JMHO.

Ok cool

Im thinking if I build something big/over kill I wont have to worry about it later if I decide to go bigger. I wasnt even going to do anything to the XJ when I bought it. After 3inchs and 31 inch tires I said "Im not going any bigger" Now Im 6.5 and 33s so Im planning on the samething with 35s lol:cheers:

A lot of people who have been there and done that will tell you. Don't bother with the D44 it is marginal for 36's and 37's. By the time you spend $$$$ on the D44 you could have had a D60. I broke my D44 3 of the 6 times I wheeled it in a year with the 9"/D44 and 36 IROK's. I have seen the D44 go with 35's and I have seen the D30 go with 33's. But if you wnat to wheel it to and from the trail and wheel it on 35's I'd personally stick with factory axles. Glad I could help.

I have a 29 spline 8.25/d30, 8.25 welded on 33's heavy on the throttle. Wouldn't be scared to bump up to 35's and deeper gears. That would allow me to use less throttle and still go my usual places. Don't underestimate stock axles. i've seen xj on 37's on stock big jointed shafts heavy throttle blow the motor before the D30.:party:p.S. open front diff btw. LSD 8.8 rear manual trans w/4.10's

I have a 9in and HP 44 from an 78 f150. The 9 is in and the 44 is trussed and getting dressed to go in. I know tons of guys that run the HP44 with 37's and bigger with no issues. You should be able to get a matching set from an older bronco or f150 for a decent price.

I have this ill sell ya:

81' Ford 9''
Big bearing
31 splines
Sand blasted third
stripped housing
have 1 extra 3rd member to go with the axle
axle is complete minus spring perches and brakes and needs to be put back together

$125/you set up and pay shipping.

A lot of people who have been there and done that will tell you. Don't bother with the D44 it is marginal for 36's and 37's. By the time you spend $$$$ on the D44 you could have had a D60. I broke my D44 3 of the 6 times I wheeled it in a year with the 9"/D44 and 36 IROK's. I have seen the D44 go with 35's and I have seen the D30 go with 33's. But if you wnat to wheel it to and from the trail and wheel it on 35's I'd personally stick with factory axles. Glad I could help.

Thanks for this... I have been wondering.

A friend from work has a 9/44 on his TJ with 40" tires

Don't underestimate stock axles. i've seen xj on 37's on stock big jointed shafts heavy throttle blow the motor before the D30.:party:p.S. open front diff btw. LSD 8.8 rear manual trans w/4.10's

My friend had a 97 with stock axles and gears on 36s

I know tons of guys that run the HP44 with 37's and bigger with no issues.

Where the hell do you guys wheel?

Somewhere that doesn't require throttle is my guess. I run the hard stuff with 35's on completely stock locked 30/8.25. Just know what not to do.

I am running a full-width (65") 1982 Ford nine in my 98 right now, with a stock, well sorta stock Dana 30 up front. Both with 5 on 4.5" pattern and all stock parts. For the ford 9 I am running a standard 3rd, 4,56 gears, 31 spline full spool, 1330 yoke and pinion guard. Explorer discs, with F100 axle shafts. These are 32" long and have the regular 5 on 4.5" pattern, and just swap in.

My long term plan is to finish my 609 and then swap in standard 5 on 5.5" shafts to match the D60 hubs up front. But this is a good interm step during axle swaps.

Back