• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 shudder in reverse?

thechief86

NAXJA Forum User
i have an '89 wagoneer limited, 4.0, aw4, np242, d30/d35 with limited slip in the rear, and 281k on the clock. it runs smooth aside from some rattles under the hood at idle, and when i put it in reverse, it kinda shudders if i hit the gas very hard on dry pavement in 2wd. i've heard that often reverse goes first, then the rest of the transmission. i haven't had many automatics, so i'm new to this. the fluid has been changed out with the transfusion method, and looks clean and new, and i don't notice anything weird in any other circumstances. anybody else had this? it doesn't bother me if it's not a sign of my truck crappin out on me, and i don't use reverse that much anyway.
again, it's only if i floor it in reverse like i'm tryin to spin the tires...

Condition of the engine and transmission mounts?

i dunno.... prolly not too good. the motor doesn't jump like my old one did when i had a broke mount, but since it's stock and low right now, i've been avoiding every reason to get under it... maybe i should:D

Back