• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interior electrical

ocskipper

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I went to hardwire a cd player into the XJ beacue I couldnt find the correct harness at 11pm :speepin: impatient anyone?? Long story short, while I was trying to figure out the wiring without a diagram i somehow lost my dome light (I think the bulb just burnt out. It flashed and smoked a little when I touched two wires together) and my under dash lights (the ones that light up the gauges) also, no lights turn on when I open the doors. The P.O had some fancy shamshy sound system in there leaving enough speaker/amp/power/satellite radio wire comming out of the dash to wire a space ship. I got the front speakers working but still cant figure out the rear. I checked all fuses and they look good. Suggestions...Im not sure where to start and was baffled that the wires comming through the radio hole effected the interior lighting.

I believe you're looking for a 5 or 10 amp fuse that controls the dome lights etc etc. It should be in the panel down under the steering wheel somewhere. I did the same exact thing when I accidentally shorted some wires in the dome light while swapping to one with map lights.

As for the hardwiring... WHY :cry: that just leaves a bigger mess for the next time, and no one does it properly with a good connector, just crappy crimp splices. What I did was I gutted the old stock radio and desoldered the connector from the power regulator board inside it, then soldered my wiring to the back of that. As a bonus, the back of the regulator board in the stock radio has the full pin-out silkscreened on. Also, you can probably google for the pinout... just throw "jeep cherokee stereo pinout" into google and away you go.

It's in the fuse box on mine - the one under the dash, not the one in the engine compartment. It's down by the gas/brake pedals and also has the blinkers and stuff in it.

EDIT: beraad is probably right about the 97+ location, not sure

Are you sure you have rear speakers?

Depending on the year and power options there's also a possibility of a relay block behind the lower dash panel under the steering wheel. There's two relays in there that control illuminated entry and radio illumination. When looking at it with the 4 big relays on the left and smaller ones on the right the top left is the illuminated entry and bottom second from right is radio illumination.

Back