• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Braking Issues after new tires and lift.

Khary23

NAXJA Forum User
I finally drove my Jeep on the highway this weekend for the first time after putting on new tires and upping the lift. When I brake at highway speeds the jeep will some times dip to the right and gets very loose and shaky. Other times it will sway left to right. It did not do this when I was at 2.5" and had on the stock wheels. Any suggestion as to a cause would be appreciated.
Specs
4" in front
3" in rear
31x10.50 tires

I also installed new calipers, rotors, and SS lines in September.

So it does not pull left or right with brake application consistently, and only does it at higher speeds? What is your alignment like? Any other handling issues?

My guess from what little info you've provided is that you have an alignment problem and not a brake issue.

was that before or after you updated your lift?

If it was before, my money is on your toe being off after bumping the height up front.

Another thing to check is if your brakes are fully bled if you changed brake lines. You could have one side of the brakes biting harder than the other because one side not being properly bled. Not likely but a possibility to check out.

Thats part of your problem then.
when you lift it that high the geometry is off on the front axle, its probably off to one side by an inch or two.
The trac is what locates the front axle so lifting it changes that. Get an adjustable trac bar or a relocation bracket.

Basically when you put the new trac bar on you will adjust it out until the axle is even on both sides, easiest way to do so is just measure how much the tires stick out on each side and make it even on both.

It wouldn't hurt to check your tire pressure. If it's too high, you can get weird tracking issues.

I've had my axle scooted over 2" and didn't have any braking issues but there's a chance it might be that. To set up the trackbar, disconnect the stock one, jump up and down on the bumper and wiggle the jeep left and right so the suspension settles where it should be and then connect. You could just measure from two points on both sides but I never really had to do that and it came out pretty darn centered. USE ANTI-SEIZE ON THE THREADS OF THE ADJUSTABLE TRACKBAR. You will thank yourself later.

By the way, please post a picture of this trackbar from Iron Man. I order stuff from him but I haven't seen what kind of trackbar he has. Did you order his trackbar bracket too or just a regular tie rod that uses the stock bracket?

It wouldn't hurt to check your tire pressure. If it's too high, you can get weird tracking issues.

I have the pressure at 36psi for highway driving

By the way, please post a picture of this trackbar from Iron Man. I order stuff from him but I haven't seen what kind of trackbar he has. Did you order his trackbar bracket too or just a regular tie rod that uses the stock bracket?

This is the one I ordered

http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/Jeep_XJ_Track_Bars/XJ_FTB.html

If I read it correctly its comes with a double shear kit

This is the one I ordered

http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/Jeep_XJ_Track_Bars/XJ_FTB.html

If I read it correctly its comes with a double shear kit

I think he has two, one has the tie rod as you see in the picture and the other is a double sheer bar with a bracket of some sort that attaches to the stock bracket.

Here's the email from him:

The track bar allows you to use any one else's double shear bracket
or my adapter. my adapter keeps it at the same height as the pitman
arm but can actually be spaced down using 3/4" washers to match a drop
pitman arm. I always encourage guys to weld the adapter to the bracket
for added beef.

Back