• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee timing is off... need help

DaveVmax

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 engine swap in my cherokee with distributor but i cant get the timing set.

I set it to TDC on #1 piston and slide the distributor in, the rotor sits just after #1 never dead on.

i try cranking it anyway and it just back fires through the intake...

am i doing something wrong?

can i get some input or can someone guide me to a link or how to for setting up timing properly?

forgot to mention its a 4L 99 engine in 2000 body

No. 1 TDC on the compression stroke? You may be 180 out.

Besides the rotor being out 180 degrees, it should point at the terminal when the engine is sitting at around 14 degrees BTDC.

ok i think i set it right...no more back firing but.. i cant get it to run..

i got fresh fuel, air, and spark...but the spark isnt a strong white. im using a fairly new coil from a mid to late 90s grand cherokee...could that be the issue?

when it cranks it sounds like it wants to run...i give it gas as im cranking but it just spudders, never a full healthy burst.

Check your battery voltage static and while cranking. If the battery needs charging you can have ample amps (pun!) to crank the starter but not enough voltage, 9+ volts, to run the ignition.

White spark? I would want to see a blue spark with a good snap, not a weak yellowish spark.

Check the voltage while cranking with a meter between the terminals of the battery.

Check your battery voltage static and while cranking. If the battery needs charging you can have ample amps (pun!) to crank the starter but not enough voltage, 9+ volts, to run the ignition.

White spark? I would want to see a blue spark with a good snap, not a weak yellowish spark.

Check the voltage while cranking with a meter between the terminals of the battery.

im thinking it is the battery. ill check the voltage.

if not i have another spare optima for my other cherokee ill try.

it was almost a yellowish spark.

im thinking it is the battery. ill check the voltage.

if not i have another spare optima for my other cherokee ill try.

it was almost a yellowish spark.

Post back and let us know after the battery change-out.

ok update, swapped the batteries and still the same...but as i was cranking it said NO BUS where my kms/miles are shown on the truck.

what does NO BUS mean?

ok update, swapped the batteries and still the same...but as i was cranking it said NO BUS where my kms/miles are shown on the truck.

what does NO BUS mean?

It means you have to take the train?:roflmao:

I couldn't help it!

NO BUS can mean a number of things, as simple as pulling the instrument panel and cleaning and using some dielectric grease on the connector, or in cases with NO BUS and the vehicle won't run could mean a shorted CPS/CKP.

Do a Google search "no bus naxja" and it should give you some good threads.

ok i looked it up.....and it seems like it doesnt relate to the engine not starting...

so im still clueless to the engine not cranking over. maybe the timing is slightly off still?

I went through this when I built my 96. It's a bear to get the dist timed.

The best info was a Haynes service manuel #50010 page 5-8 and 5-9.If your lucky and your dist has the timing alignment hole. Then you just align it with the correct hole lock the postion and install the dist.

Good Luck

Nick

Not sure on a '99, but the 2000 has a hole to line up the CMP (cam position sensor) in the "distributor" housing, but the 2000 does not have a dis. cap any more. Check in your appropriate manual for that CMP timing. The earlier years don't seem to have that issue, just lining up the rotor and cap.

Back