• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which welder

Jesusfreak0190

NAXJA Forum User
I have been thinking about investing into a welder but I am not sure what type to get, I know enough people that know how to weld that would teach me how I just need something to start with, it will be used for mostly xj projects. could anyone give me advice on which kind to buy?

I have been thinking about investing into a welder but I am not sure what type to get, I know enough people that know how to weld that would teach me how I just need something to start with, it will be used for mostly xj projects. could anyone give me advice on which kind to buy?

By type do you mean brand? Or like mig, tig, acetylene torch ect?

Get the biggest one you can afford. I have had a cheap no name, and it sucked. I got a middle of the road one (Century) and it was better, then i got a Hobart Handler 210. Its amazing.

This is a tool you dont want to 'skimp' on.

A little Miller, Lincoln or Hobart 140 amp and higher will work great for most projects. You need to decide if you want to use 110 volts or 220, and go from there.

~James

This thread belongs here: Fabrication Tools
Get the biggest one you can afford.

This is a tool you dont want to 'skimp' on.
Exactly.
My opinion? Get the biggest 220V Miller you can afford.
You can only get so big with a 110V welder. If you've got to have a 110V cause you currently aren't setup for 220V, get a dual voltage machine so at a later date you can take advantage of it.

I have had great experiences with the hobart 210 and 187. They have been able to manage everything I have put them up to. I use millers and ESAB at school( welding engineering) and am happy with those as well. One thing to note, and I have mentioned this before in other places, but Hobart machines are made with miller parts. Basically the econoline of miller.

Obviously a dual voltage machine is the nicest, they do get pretty pricy.

Look on cyberweld.com, they have some good deals. Also tractor supply runs sales on them quite a bit. THats where I picked up mine.

I use 3 welders primarily. I have a Hobart 125 MIG at home and it does a good job on anything smaller than 1/4". At work I use a Miller 252 MIG and it is absolutely awesome for medium work. I also occasionally use a Miller 452 MIG and it will weld up to 3/4" with no problem.

I prefer Miller/Hobart but I grew up using a old Lincoln buzz box on the farm and it was a great welder. I lay a better looking bead with a stick but I'm getting better at MIG. I know absolutely nothing about TIG.

My $.02

I have had great experiences with the hobart 210 and 187. They have been able to manage everything I have put them up to. I use millers and ESAB at school( welding engineering) and am happy with those as well. One thing to note, and I have mentioned this before in other places, but Hobart machines are made with miller parts. Basically the econoline of miller.

Obviously a dual voltage machine is the nicest, they do get pretty pricy.

Look on cyberweld.com, they have some good deals. Also tractor supply runs sales on them quite a bit. THats where I picked up mine.
Ferris rocks. Tell Carney I said hi.:patriot:

Ferris rocks. Tell Carney I said hi.:patriot:

HAHA nice! i will be sure to tell him go1lum says hi... i'm sure he will give a pretty interesting response

i bought a lincoln sp-135 plus because i got a smoking deal on it. it was a good first welder and good to learn on. but i wish i ponied up the extra couple hundred bucks and went for a 220V miller.

Back