• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tellico vote

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
those options for voting are very vague. i'm all for 4wheeling and enjoy it very much, but there needs to be some middle ground. one of the sidebars mentions the forest service cutting a road for logging and causing erosion. how is this not an issue? typical beauracracy at work.

also, everything can't always be about the economy. if something is harmful to the environment, which was here before us and will be here after us for others to enjoy, then the problem needs to be corrected. we as humans cause countless amounts of harm to the environment everyday, lots of it that is close to irreversible. like i said before, closing the trail system is way over the top, but what do you expect from policymakers? many 4wheelers have no regard for the environment, and until we change that, trails all over the place will continue to close.

i voted, just because i want the trails back open.

I voted too, but we all know whats going to happen. They will close it for good. The forest service has been planning on doing it for years now, and they have slowly but surely been working on shutting the place down. The only reason they even had the appeal period was because they are legally required to, but they are not required to do what the majority of the people want. They say "its in our best judgment" and do whatever the hell they want. This is one issue that burns me up!!!

I would seriously like to meet the people responsible for this, I'd take my size 11 and shove it up every one of their asses.

UGH!!!!!!!

those options for voting are very vague. i'm all for 4wheeling and enjoy it very much, but there needs to be some middle ground. one of the sidebars mentions the forest service cutting a road for logging and causing erosion. how is this not an issue? typical beauracracy at work.

also, everything can't always be about the economy. if something is harmful to the environment, which was here before us and will be here after us for others to enjoy, then the problem needs to be corrected. we as humans cause countless amounts of harm to the environment everyday, lots of it that is close to irreversible. like i said before, closing the trail system is way over the top, but what do you expect from policymakers? many 4wheelers have no regard for the environment, and until we change that, trails all over the place will continue to close.

i voted, just because i want the trails back open.

You must not know to much about the situation. This was never about the environment IMHO the people at TU just gave the FS ammo to do what they wanted. All the times I ahve been at Tellico I never saw a ranger in teh forest on the trails. AT the entrances and pay stations yes, but never on the trails. If we compare that to URE... I almost always see rangers on the trails, and have seen them writing tickets. I have always believed the rangers saw the trails at Tellico as a hassle, where as the rangers at URE imply a much more carring impression. Yes I to believe it will not change but I think its important to show the press/people of the area that we think it will matter to their economy.

Does anyone have the names handy of the State Senators and other representatives who were elected by the people of this district? I'll start my search and post what I find.

Does anyone have the names handy of the State Senators and other representatives who were elected by the people of this district? I'll start my search and post what I find.

Anything you would like to know can be found on Pirate in the Tellico forum.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=88

Here is one of them:

US Congressman Heath Shuler's Contact Info. You can email him from here: http://shuler.house.gov/content/contact/

Washington D.C. Office
422 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-6401
Fax: (202) 226-6422

Asheville Office
356 Biltmore Ave., Suite 400
Asheville, NC 28801
Phone: 828-252-1651
Fax: 828-252-8734

Murphy Office
75 Peachtree St., Suite 100
Murphy, NC 28906
Phone: 828-835-4981

Sylva Office
125 Bonnie Lane
Sylva, NC 28779
Phone: 828-586-1962 Ext. 223

Make your opinion count. Write your elected officials, or in this case, those who were elected to serve to represent this District. I hope concerned business owners in and around the Tellico Plains area have already done the same. Make a good educated argument and use what facts you have that support keeping the ORV area open.

I have a hard time believing that there is NO way to rehabilate land in any given situation. The land is preserved or should be preserved for each of us to enjoy. Not everyone has a good set of knees for hiking or fishing. Some families use ATV's for their recreation and vacation time. Some of us enjoy taking our children to places most will never have the chance to see...and we do that in an off road vehicle. Study your case, and share it with as many representatives as you can....especially those in this District 5 and adjacent districts. E-mail it, print it, and MAIL it too. Paper takes up way more space on a desk than an email.

My story? I live in NE Ga., near Clayton. I used to spend alot of time, years ago, in Tellico. I helped guide Jeep Jamborees, made alot of friends, and saw some gorgeous country. We dined in town, stayed in the hotels, and I had quite a few customers in Murphy. Since then, we've had children and they just now are of the age that I want them to see what I've seen. So, I just started my Cherokee Makeover this week and thought I would visit the forum since it's been so long. I knew TU had been pushing to close Tellico, and read where a few select trails might be closed and rehabilitated. But when did it all change to total closure?

How long has Tellico been open to ORV and ATV use? Who made the decision to use the area for such? I'm sure the thoughts were that the local economies would benefit as a result of this ORV area. These are all questions to ask the representatives of this District and local area.

I'm wording my letter so that someone has to think about more than silt. I love to trout fish, but I love to ride trails too. Murphy NC and Tellico Plains won't benefit from the money I spend in another District that DOES support ORV and ATV activities for families. You see where I'm going? The ATV and ORV community is a large one, and we will put money in to some local economy that supports us. Monroe county stands to lose more than it gains as a result of this closure.

I searched for and found what I think to be the current sites for U.S. and State officials in this region. I appologize if I have someone listed incorrectly. Double check me.

Pass this along to everyone you can think of if you will.

Thanks,
Jeff

Bookmark this site as a good reference.
http://www.tennesseeanytime.org/local/monroe.html

Here is District 5 Senator Randy McNally's site
http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Senate/members/s5.html

U.S. Senators Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) and Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) and U.S. Rep. John J. Duncan, Jr. (R-Tenn.2nd)

we as humans cause countless amounts of harm to the environment everyday, lots of it that is close to irreversible.

All us humans should just kill ourselves. Look at us treating the ground like dirt. What a dispicable act and I'm ashamed of myself that I even have legs to walk upon the ground God put here for us.

:rolleyes:

I get so pissed off about stuff like this. Yes, there needs to be responsibility involved, like in anything else, but good grief...why do we have a planet if we can't use it? Why don't we just float around in space so we don't hurt anything?

Let me make sure I understand what these a$$clowns are trying to do. Close all access to all land. Ok. So what's it there for?

One reason I'm so fired up on this right now is because I just got into mountain biking and joined a local forum. Well there are people in that sport who bitch about people riding NON-MOTORIZED BICYCLES offroad. Are you kidding me people!!! It's the exact same tune over there, "you're destroying our lands." LOL...I can't wrap my head around this thought process.

I'm telling you, they're going to ban walking on dirt soon.

Just voted...

108 Yes
1,239 No

However, I don't think the explanation next to "NO" is quite the main reason we're pissed. That's a negative side effect as far as I'm concerned.

Back