• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 HO Head on a 99 Block

Ramcharger

NAXJA Forum User
Any unforseen problems other than removing the dowels from the block? Should I use a head gasket for the 92 or 99. Also, any problem with using a 92 cam in the 99 block other than using the 92 cam chain set, attaching hardware and cam cover? Any problems with using the 92 distributor? This will, of course, be going into a 92 XJ.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry guys, I did search but I didn't find this exact swap. :read:

It should be alright, Since 92 was HO the cam should at least be similar. Shoudl actually work better since you will be using existing sensors and stuff that fit fine in the 92 head.

Thank you Johnnie. I did the research on this and just wanted to be sure that there were no unforeseen problems. My 92 block ate the #5 piston and it needs a rebore so I just picked up a 99 block with almost zero bore wear.

You should build the old block to use for a stroker. Starting in 96 (I believe) they went to a better pistion anyways.

You should build the old block to use for a stroker. Starting in 96 (I believe) they went to a better pistion anyways.

Yep, keeping the old block for a future stroker build. Don't have the dough now though as I just need to get this sucker on the road.

Starting in '96 they went to a piston that was about 90 grams lighter and had a thinner metric ring pack. This '99 block also has a factory stud girdle.

Back