• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ steering upgrade, without brakes?

schecterguy

NAXJA Forum User
I want to use the wj knuckle I have with the "crossover" setup, I already have the tie rod and drag link from the same grand cherokee I got the knuckle from. I also have the jks 1/4" hub spacer. Do I absolutely have to get all the brake parts as well? There's no way to just change out the knuckle with the hub spacer and run it?

-Rich

If you wanted the high steer without the brakes, there is no reason to switch to the WJ setup. Buy a Teraflex knuckle or try out the Blue Torch Fab bracket.

If you wanted the high steer without the brakes, there is no reason to switch to the WJ setup. Buy a Teraflex knuckle or try out the Blue Torch Fab bracket.
Well I got the knuckle, tie rod and drag link from a junkyard for about $25, whereas the teraflex knuckle is how much? Plus I'd need a tie rod and drag link.

Why not switch to the WJ brakes? Double piston caliper is nice!

I may end up doing so, I just wanted to know if I can run it with just the knuckle/steering swapped for now.

Do the XJ calipers even fit on the WJ knuckles? I don't think they do.

Reasoning behind wanting to not use the WJ stuff?

I never understood why people want to do an upgrade, but don't want everything of what that upgrade entails?
WJ upgrade = cross over steering & dual piston calipers.

Yeah, the WJ tie rod and drag link won't work. You'll have to buy aftermarket steering stuff anyways.

No, you can't do it without the brakes.

Your best bet is to buy a Tera knuckle

well sure, you could cut, sleeve, and weld them. they arent very good quality to begin with and you'd be creating something that is likely very very unsafe, to save like a hundred bucks.

and you'd still have to buy all the brake hardware and probobably new unit bearings (you need year 2000+ xj/tj hubs).

well sure, you could cut, sleeve, and weld them. they arent very good quality to begin with and you'd be creating something that is likely very very unsafe, to save like a hundred bucks.

Although it may not be the strongest, to those who can fab making modifying steering is very easy, and is in no way unsafe. It is an option for those who can do it.

The JKS tie rod and drag link are $172.00.

Although it may not be the strongest, to those who can fab making modifying steering is very easy, and is in no way unsafe. It is an option for those who can do it.

The JKS tie rod and drag link are $172.00.

Yes, but unless they changed the factory WJ steering, you're welding thin hollow tube, and either not penetrating or burning through.

And you don't have to buy your steering from JKS. Mine came from another vendor when I did the WJ conversion.

Do what you're going to do. No, you can't do the conversion without doing the brakes.

Back