• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

KC Hilites vs. Hella

Emerscape

NAXJA Forum User
I recently mounted a ARB bull bar on the front of my 2000xj. I bought it used and it came with a set of Hella 500s round fogs installed on it. I was previously running a set of Hella 500 roung driving lights. I'd like to run the set of Hella 500 round driving lights in the middle of the bar in front of the grille and then running a set of rectangular fog lights on the bumper part where the which opening (mounted upside down to those triangle like pieces). I was planning on ordering the Hella 500 rectangular fog light which is about 3 1/4 x 7" but found a set of KC hilites 3x5 fog lights on sale at jcwhitney for $30. Anyone have any suggestions as to which I should go with and if there will be much difference between the two?

Links:

Hella
http://www.tirerack.com/lighting/detail.jsp?ID=1002

KC Highlites
http://www.jcwhitney.com/LX2_Ultra_...817;0;100004;ProductName;12;0;0;0;2011512;0;0#

Im partial to the KC's, but you seem to have a "Hella" theme goin, and i'd just stay with it..

Honestly both brands are great quality. and they both should last along time.

EDIT:holy crap huge price difference. get three sets of the Kc's for the price of the Hellas! its normally the other way around!

edit2: nope they are 30/ea so 60/set

Last edited:
wow I totally missed that. Thanks for catching it!!!

Actually I'm a PIAA fan but don't have as much money as I used to.
I like KC's and Hellas, but i hate PIAA, i spent $280 for a set that looked like little Egg's, they were bright! but after 6 weeks one of the bulbs failed and they said it was due to bad wiring! no warranty!

the second set i got for free, they were the 5"-6" round style, i think they are like $200? mine were from a raffle.. the mount broke off when i was tighting down the bolt. No warranty on that set either!

When I grow up I wanna be either a brain surgeon or a truck driver...........

Sorry, couldnt resist. If you want cheap, get cheap, and stop fooling yourself about quality. I have this watch that looks exactly like a Rolex and only cost $25! Man those Rolex are crazy selling for so much.

When I grow up I wanna be either a brain surgeon or a truck driver...........

Sorry, couldnt resist. If you want cheap, get cheap, and stop fooling yourself about quality. I have this watch that looks exactly like a Rolex and only cost $25! Man those Rolex are crazy selling for so much.
Heh? wut?

Lightforce... yea who could forget about those. because it takes $300+ to have "Real lights"

please.

not to mention the fact I'm looking for fog lights, not driving lights, but I do appreciate your input. Doesn't seem like there is a big difference between the two. Given the small price difference I'll probably end up getting the Hella 550 rectangular fog lights. I think the next step will be to upgrade my stock headlights to the bajahid.com hi/lo HIDs.

I went with ultra crappy chinese "130 watt" fog lights off eBay for $50/pair shipped. They're actually 55 watt bulbs with "130" stamped on the back of the housing, when I replaced them with 100 watt Sylvania bulbs they got way brighter.

Get good lights (any of the companies you are considering), these ones I got are pretty worthless except to hold me over till I have enough money to pick up real lights.

I recommend KC's to anyone. They are very durable, I haven't had any problems with mine. There HID's are spectacular, best ballast on the market! I have KC: 4 - 6x9 55w hid's , 2 - 5x3 wide beams , 2 - 5x7 long range , 2 - 6x2 rear flood lights.

IMG_2423.jpg

XJSideArmorDvr.jpg

I recommend KC's to anyone. They are very durable, I haven't had any problems with mine. There HID's are spectacular, best ballast on the market! I have KC: 4 - 6x9 55w hid's , 2 - 5x3 wide beams , 2 - 5x7 long range , 2 - 6x2 rear flood lights.

IMG_2423.jpg

XJSideArmorDvr.jpg

Dude, that is a SICK looking XJ. Glad you posted a pic with the 5x7 and 6x9's. I am debating what to use as far as sizes but I knew I wanted retangular ones to match the lines of the XJ insteasd of round ones, not I FOR SURE want rectangular ones after seeing yours

Back