• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring up different tail lights

Your XJ has a separate (amber) turn signal, so it's not as simple as just splicing wires.

Robert

<Edit> Your best bet, to convert to a shared brake/ts bulb, is probably one of the plug-n-play trailer wiring harnesses...

Last edited:
FWIW, I have THORs (the original quarter panel guard) and spliced my lights to the stock wiring harness. I had a lot of extra wires in the harness I didn't use but my lights work great and don't blink too fast.

This was on my Renix rig.

~Scott

To get the stop, tail, and turn functions into one bulb you will need to install a trailer converter box (as stated above.) These are about $20 and can be had at most places that carry trailer wiring accessories.

In an XJ the best place to splice it in would be behind the driver rear panel where both the passenger and driver tail light wires pass through. I haven't done it yet, but I imagine I will get a writeup going eventually.

Dont get one from NAPA. I did Friday and it doesnt work. Everything works except my brake lights. I spliced my brake light in from the third brake light wiring.

To get the stop, tail, and turn functions into one bulb you will need to install a trailer converter box (as stated above.) These are about $20 and can be had at most places that carry trailer wiring accessories.

In an XJ the best place to splice it in would be behind the driver rear panel where both the passenger and driver tail light wires pass through. I haven't done it yet, but I imagine I will get a writeup going eventually.

Right, forgot about that whole combining them into one light thing. Having a seperate brake/running, reverse, and turn signal makes life easy. :)

~Scott

Back