• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'95 XJ won't start, no crank, no engine code

The Title more or less sums it up. I took our dogs down to the river for a walk this morning. The '95 Jeep 4.0l HO, auto went fine on the 2 mile drive. After 40 minutes of walking the dogs I hopped back in, turned the key, the usual lights came on, whistled/beeped at me and I turned it to start but absolutely no crank - silence.

The only thing done to the engine recently was a new O2 sensor, but that was 6 weeks ago and no issues since.

I have tried the check engine process on go-jeeps web site, and the process worked but apart from the 55 there were no other codes, so presumably all sensors are giving a good message to the computer.

Have tried to jump start it with another vehicle battery but nothing, so not a almost flat battery either.

Any help appreciated.
Ian

Well, I wouldn't bet the farm on it, but dollars-to-doughnuts it is your NSS.

That is the Neutral Safety Switch, mounted on the passenger side of the transmission.

Try moving the shifter around, park and neutral, and give it another try. You can jump the Main positive on the starter to the small lead on the solenoid, bypassing the NSS and if it cranks you know the starter/cables/solenoid are good.

Do a search--not here, on Google, for "NSS naxja". Lots of threads.

Naxja search can't do 3-or-less character searches.

Right, I have worked out that it is the starter motor. Tried swapping the AC relay with the starter relay, still no go. Jumpered the B & C pin on the cable from the NSS and no go, got under the jeep and shorted out the two pins on the starter nothing, nothing apart from a spark - hit the starter with the hammer a few times and shorted it again - hey presto we have action.

However behaviour of the starter is now intermittent, sometimes it works - sometimes it doesn't. So it must be time to get it out and have it serviced.

During the recent NAXJA event in Moab... a '96 XJ had a similar problem....
Tested battery voltage, fuses, starter relay and exchanged A/C relay, verified voltage to the starter solenoid when the ignition is turned to start.
We removed the starter and manually turned the bendix gear.... which was stiff to rotate. Connected jumper cables from the battery to the starter and was able to get the starter to turn over consistantly...
Reinstalled the starter and the engine started...
Recommended to the owner that he replace the starter once we return to camp....
The problem stemmed from oil dropping onto the starter and solenoid during oil changes; which will create dirty electrical contacts and bushings that donot spin freely....

Right, I have worked out that it is the starter motor. Tried swapping the AC relay with the starter relay, still no go. Jumpered the B & C pin on the cable from the NSS and no go, got under the jeep and shorted out the two pins on the starter nothing, nothing apart from a spark - hit the starter with the hammer a few times and shorted it again - hey presto we have action.

However behaviour of the starter is now intermittent, sometimes it works - sometimes it doesn't. So it must be time to get it out and have it serviced.

Yep! You got it.

I'm having a similiar problem in my 94 4.0 auto jeep as well. When I bypass the NSS and jump the starter wire to the + terminal it will start every time. But sometimes driving down the road, I will lose all electrical components. wipers, radio, turn signals, etc. I'm stumped.

I'm having a similiar problem in my 94 4.0 auto jeep as well. When I bypass the NSS and jump the starter wire to the + terminal it will start every time. But sometimes driving down the road, I will lose all electrical components. wipers, radio, turn signals, etc. I'm stumped.

NSS is strictly a crank/no crank item.

If you are loosing power to components you need to find the intermittent open in the electrical system. You don't say if the engine dies, so a**uming it doesn't and it is just accessories you should check the condition of the PDC.

***Edit: When you make multiple posts with the same problem it becomes confusing. I found your other post, and in it you mention a key problem. Stick to one post, please.

I took my starter out on Wednesday night, had it serviced on Thursday, came back looking like new with new brushes etc. I put it back in last night and everything is running sweet.

Of course after the mishap on Saturday it ran fine the rest of the week anyway.

When I took it out it had a good film of oily dirt all over it, I too have a leak at the back of my rocker cover. Also out of the 4 brushes, two were very short and it definitely needed a good clean inside.

Thanks for getting me started as to what to check - a good feeling of satisfaction of sorting it out without having to tow it to the mechanic

Cheers
Ian

Back