• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swapping motors from a 87 to a 90. i have questions

NorCalChris

NAXJA Forum User
okay. i should have posted this earlier, but have not had accss to a comp til today. im in the middle of swapping motors, and im wondering where can i hook the hoist? do i need to go buy a hook somewhere? where would it bolt to the block.

and another thing, i think its going to swap right in, but i may be wrong. what should i look out for, anything i should buy? anything thats not going to swap that i need to take off the 90s motor. i noticed the 87 has a different wiring harness up on the bulkhead b the cruise control. swap mne in? also, the 87 has a different egr, just swap all my stuff over or what.

thank you!!!!!!!!!

keep everything you had and just swap the engine block, head, oil pan and valve cover. just the motor, leave everything that was working under the hood. don't swap intake/exhaust.

ok. i see the bolt in the front you are talking about. , and your saying use an exhaust bolt to do the rear? also, whay not use my intake and exhaust? my header is cracked and the one in the 87 in new(its a freshy rebuilt motor)

you can use it, it's just a little more work. use the best of what you have. it'll bolt up, but there are little things you'll encounter. nothing major, though.

bell housing bolts the top, two, are torx heads, star shaped. they take a torx e12 socket. that will drive you nuts if you didn't already know that. don't ask how i know...

ok. i see the bolt in the front you are talking about. , and your saying use an exhaust bolt to do the rear? also, whay not use my intake and exhaust? my header is cracked and the one in the 87 in new(its a freshy rebuilt motor)

Use two head bolts, it is easier to remove/re-install the intake and exhaust out-of-vehicle.

bell housing bolts the top, two, are torx heads, star shaped. they take a torx e12 socket. that will drive you nuts if you didn't already know that. don't ask how i know...

reach up and touch them before you mess with them, so you know exactly what i'm talkin about. these bolts rounded off when i tried to remove them with a normal socket, and it took forever to figure out why. i eventually took a cutting torch and fried the head off of them, and later found out what was up when i got around to taking the motor out of the parts jeep. it was a huge time waster.

Back