• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

9.5" wide tire on factory spare wheel?

Ulver44

NAXJA Forum User
will it work? my tire is a 30x9.5x15. i think i can make it fit back there, i just dont know if it will mount up to the wheel. (my jeep is not here and i wont see it for about a week, that's why im asking here. if it wont work i need to try and get a wheel today)

I assume it is a full size spare? If so it should work fine. I ran 30x9.50 or 30x10.50s on my stock wheels and it worked fine

I assume it is a full size spare? If so it should work fine. I ran 30x9.50 or 30x10.50s on my stock wheels and it worked fine

what do you mean. im running 31s and offset wheels on the truck. a 30" tire is all i have for a spare and that's fine. my concern is only that the factory spare wheel is not wide enough for this 9.5" wide tire. last time i looked it seemed like is was 4" wide or something.. anyone know? also, im not sure if it's even 15" in diameter.

I dunno, my spare tire + rim when I got the XJ was known as a "full size spare" and was exactly the same as the tires and rims under the vehicle. If you have what's known as a "donut" spare and rim, I would NOT run a 31 inch tire on it...

That is why I asked if it was a full size spare. Currently you have a donut as a spare; I dont think you will be able to run the 30x9.5 on that wheel.. You should be able to stop by a local Junkyard and find a spare wheel for pretty cheap (I found a yard where I could pull a wheel+tire for 20$)

I asked the original question becaue I have a full size spare in my XJ (stock full size spare).. It is a full (approx 28") size tire on a 15x8 (or x7... whatever size rim it is). You could get the XJ with either a donut like you have or a full size. The full size was an option.

If you're talking about the doughnut rim spare, Don't! That is a hazard and would not meet most requirements (espcially for NAXJA events). If your talking about using a 30x9.5x15 full-size spare when you run 31's, that's okay to get off the road safely, but is not something that should be driven on for a long period of time as you will mess up your diffs/t-case/trans.... My $0.02

ok thanks guys. yes i have the donut type spare. i didnt think that rim would work either, but i found a brand new 15x7, 5x4.5 jeep tj wheel for $20 on craigslist that should work well. i just wanted to use the donut wheel if i could have. lol. hopefully with the 30" spare mounted on the tj wheel i'll still be able to lock the rear seat back.

Make sure that TJ wheel has the right backspacing! I forget if TJs/XJs have the same or not.

If it's a stamped steel 15x7 wheel, it should work... If the back spacing is different, at least it could probably get you off the trail...

Make sure that TJ wheel has the right backspacing! I forget if TJs/XJs have the same or not.
He already mentioned having offset wheels... so I doubt it would matter what stock XJ wheels are.

And regarding fitting it in back.. I think you can, however you may have to modify the spare tire rack a bit to do so.

If you're talking about the doughnut rim spare, Don't! That is a hazard and would not meet most requirements (espcially for NAXJA events). If your talking about using a 30x9.5x15 full-size spare when you run 31's, that's okay to get off the road safely, but is not something that should be driven on for a long period of time as you will mess up your diffs/t-case/trans.... My $0.02

i have one 31 and three 30's on my 4runner and i think it's fine because it has open differentials. i would think that the power goes to the smaller wheel in this case. my cherokee is currently open front and rear as well. until i lock the diffs, i think a smaller spare should be fine. and if i had to put it in 4wheel drive while the smaller spare was on i would most likely be in slippery conditions (east coast) so that should temporarily be ok as well since it's only a 1" difference.

Here's a picture of a 30x9.5 in the stock spare location (not mine).

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=244600239&postcount=36

The above post is from a thread earlier this week about full size spares. Here's the link, I'd recommend reading it...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1010605&highlight=spare+tire+stock

hey, thanks. i actually found that thread the other day. but you never know, with my luck my 30" may not work even though his did! :gonnablow

i have one 31 and three 30's on my 4runner and i think it's fine because it has open differentials. i would think that the power goes to the smaller wheel in this case. my cherokee is currently open front and rear as well. until i lock the diffs, i think a smaller spare should be fine. and if i had to put it in 4wheel drive while the smaller spare was on i would most likely be in slippery conditions (east coast) so that should temporarily be ok as well since it's only a 1" difference.

I can agree to a point, which this is a friendly thread where we are helping a fellow Jeeper... That will work, however the axle that has the two different size tires on it will have excessive use/wear in the differential because of the wheel speeds being different going down the road. If in 4x4, the wheels again will not rotate at the same speed, therefore you will put a higher than usual strain on the driveline by doing this. This is why most shops that do tire service ask if a vehicle is 4x4 before they complete a price quote for a customer.

Overall, we both agree that in a situation like that, it is okay to temporarily use a smaller spare...

Back