• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator Overcharging

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
What would cause my alternator to OVERCHARGE.

Electrical not my strong suit. Dash gauge reading rises when running between 15-17 v. confirmed by DMM. New battery (which I don't want to fry). Grounds all good. Cables and connections tight. Runs fine. All lights and accessories fine.

:explosion

Sounds like a bad regulator, and that is built in to the alternator. I would pull it and have it checked.

Should be a CS-130 Delco-Remy (GM), pretty common. A great upgrade is the CS-144. Watch the pulley size on reman or salvage yard, the CS-130 was used on a lot of different makes and models over the years and there are numerous sized pulleys.

Sounds like a bad regulator, and that is built in to the alternator. I would pull it and have it checked.

Should be a CS-130 Delco-Remy (GM), pretty common. A great upgrade is the CS-144. Watch the pulley size on reman or salvage yard, the CS-130 was used on a lot of different makes and models over the years and there are numerous sized pulleys.

Quick note on the CS144-won't fit if you have factory (or like the factory brackets) tow hooks.
Back bolt that goes all the way through does not clear the larger frame.
A CS130D is the same size as a CS130, but is more robust (better cooling and bearing).
Just make sure that you get one with offset clocking-not 6 and 12.

Nick

How/where do they check it? AutoZone? or another place. Can they do it in the Jeep or would they just be using a DMM like I have done?

How/where do they check it? AutoZone? or another place. Can they do it in the Jeep or would they just be using a DMM like I have done?

Yes, Vatozone or Schucks(whatever) can do it on or off the vehicle.

I was recommending off the vehicle as you said you didn't want to take a chance of cooking the new batt.

Also, I might be wrong, but the rectifier changes AC volts to DC volts, I don't think it controls the voltage.

Nickfast: You may be right on the CS-144/tow hook issue, no tow hooks here. The CS-144 is available in a number of different arrangements, so there may be one that will work.

You are correct, the rectifier just rectifies from three-phase AC to DC - unless it's a controlled rectifier (using SCRs) with an integrated regulator, then the line blurs somewhat.

Oops-sorry-meant regulator-DOH!.
There are offset clocking CS144's out there, which is what we need for the Cherokees, but the case is too big with tow hooks.
My CS130 rubs on the end of the bolt on mine sometimes-need to get out the grinder and knock it down a little (the bolt, not the alternator!)

Nick

Oops-sorry-meant regulator-DOH!.
There are offset clocking CS144's out there, which is what we need for the Cherokees, but the case is too big with tow hooks.
My CS130 rubs on the end of the bolt on mine sometimes-need to get out the grinder and knock it down a little (the bolt, not the alternator!)

Nick

Sounds like a good reason to get new motor mounts--like Brown Dog's 1" lift mounts? :cheers:

Back