• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 Alternator Identification and testing

tirogers

NAXJA Forum User
you guys have been super helpful!!!! Thank you so much!

I have an 89 w/ a 90 4.0 transplanted into it by the previous owner. Now that i have the engine running correctly...i have noticed an electrical draw :doh:

Long story short i pulled the alternator and replaced it with a known good one and new battery..took me 3 tries but i got it one that fit. I originally robbed one off a 94 cherokee I have only to find out it was different. I then went and got a working one off a supposed 1990 and forgot to bring the correct one with me to compair....well i got home and discovered I have the same one as the 94...so i returned with the one off the jeep and the guys told me in there redneck ways that "that aint origional" on of the guys went in the back and came out with a re manufactured that was for a chevy 454..."that aint no jeep alternator u got der" but sure enough they were the same so i got that one and sure enough it bolted right in....

My Alternator looks original, brackets and all...jeep did make 2 types didn't they? Please some one has to know?

there is no fan type blade on mine like there is on my 94

After all this BS....

then noticed one of the wires was cut beyond the connectors (probably $$$ i didnt need to spend :doh: and time)...

after reconnecting wires

voltage gauge in jeep reads just above red with it running and lights off, and with lights on it drops some and as i drive more it drops more and more to the point the jeep will stop shifting, run really crappy, and eventually not run at all until the battery is charged.

I have not noticed any problems driving with the lights off...but im sure it is prolly drawing some power right?

my question is what is the series of tests i should preform w/ my meter? i tried searching and didn't have much luck......Thanks in advance

XJs have seen different alternators through their production.

Renix should have stock a CS-130 Delco-Remy (GM) internally regulated alternator.

I would expect that the 454 Chevy might be a CS-144 Delco-Remy (GM) and would be a nice upgrade.

The XJ voltmeter reads voltage at the end of the circuit and is notorious for its lack of accuracy.

Use a voltmeter and measure the voltage between the battery terminals. Should have 12.5 volts static, and should have 13.6 or higher volts with the engine running.

When voltage in the XJ drops below 9 volts the electronics crap out--as you have experienced.

http://www.alternatorparts.com/cs130_sbpage1.htm
There may be some trouble with the link, it loaded once but it wouldn't reload, if you can't get it to work, PM me and I'll send you the pages (I have them copied in my files somewhere ;) ).

Found another link with the same info and more, :) http://oljeep.com/gw/alt/edge_Alternator_Theory.html

My 88 Chev. PU had the same alternator as my Renix ( CS series). Though the pulley was slightly smaller on my 88 Chev. There are some small differences in the internals and hookup configurations in the CS 130's in general over the years. Some had a different groove and ridge count on the pulley than the Renix, the belt would slip and eventually wear most of the grooves and ridges off of the belt (found that one out the hard way). The early years of the Renix were interesting here in Europe, you often had to make do with whatever you could get or wait a month for a replacement. I got pretty good at making do.
Check the price difference for an 88 Chev, K1500 HD trailer package and a Jeep reman alternator. The Chev, *here* was $35 cheaper and had a higher output and was a bolt in.

Last edited:
Back