• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

crossmember stud spins...

METAL MONKEY

NAXJA Forum User
I'm installing the tnt y-link kit, and the was trying to remove the nut, but now the drivers side stud just spins. There was a loud pop, which I'm assuming were the welds on the nut in the frame rail breaking.

What's the best method to remove?

depending on year, I think, you should be able to go through the floorpan to get to them. My 88 had plugged holes directly over the nuts that I was able to pry out, and then replace. IIRC, they may have done away with these built in holes to the rail, so then you have to cut a hole. search is your friend.

I'd check about going in from the floor... if no plug, I'd take a dremel with a cutoff wheel and make yourself a hole in the uni-rail, throw a wrench over the nut and get it all apart.
Think of it this way: Now you can upgrade the hardware on that nut & bolt without having to drill & tap!

I would be carfull with cuting any square hole in the in the uni-rail. (stress cracks)

but looking at the pictures on web of the kit there are a few holes drilled in uni-rail for the new belly skid maybe one of them is in the right area to help you get some thing in there to hold the nut while you grind or cut old stud off.

on both of my jeeps there are two one inch plugs just forward of the drivers seat.

Keep up with the answers because I'm. In the same pickel as him or I will be when i order my TNT longarm kit

So, I lucked out and had plugs in the floor. Ended up cutting off the stud, and pulled the remainder out. Then, I fished a new bolt through. However, when tightening the other bolts, the remaining nutserts spun. So when I have to take the bellypan off, it won't be too fun.

mine broke off inside... I too the nut off and tack welding it in place till i can find another fix for it..Im gonna look tomorrow to see if their is a plug in that area.

Never cut a square hole always round and never waste your money on a dremmel unless you are building a model.
I'd normally agree with this but Saturday morning I was very glad I had one. They're great for rust removal in tight spots, my passenger side LCA decided it should part ways with my d30 housing and I had to weld it back on. Couldn't get my 4.5" angle grinder into the spot I had to clean up. They're also good for stuff like cutting notches into the heads of rounded-off bolts so you can use a big-ass flat blade screwdriver.

Back